Chapter 16 ~ Drill

We escorted the family to the outer wall of Ba Sing Se. As we were, Aang came flying back, which surprised me.

"Aang, what are you doing here? I thought you were looking for Appa."

"I was, but something stopped me. Something big."

Toph and Aang earthbended us to the top of the wall.

"Now what's so big that Appa has to wait?" Sokka asked.

"That." He said, indicating to the edge of the wall.

We all walked over. I looked down to see a huge drill coming towards the wall.

"What are you people doing here? Civilians aren't allowed on the wall!" A voice exclaimed.

I turned around to see a large man, wearing an earth kingdom military outfit.

"I'm the Avatar. Take me to whoever is in charge." Said Aang.

The man hesitated, but agreed to introduce us to his boss.

"Greetings, Avatar and friends. I am General Sung. It is an honor to welcome you to the Outer Wall, but your help is not needed."

"Not needed?" Aang asked in confusion.

"Not needed." He replied. "I have the situation under control. I assure you the Fire Nation cannot penetrate this wall. Many have tried to break through it, but none have succeeded."

"What about the Dragon of the West? He got in." I fired back.

"Uh... technically yes, but he was quickly expunged. Nevertheless, that is why the city is named Ba Sing Se. It's the "impenetrable city". They don't call it Na Sing Se." He laughed at his own joke. "That means "penetrable city.""

"Yeah, thanks for the tour, but we still got the drill problem." Said Toph.

"Not for long. To stop it, I've sent an elite platoon of earthbenders called the Terra Team." He said confidently.

"Hm, catchy name. Hey, maybe we should get a team name!" Sokka said.

We all rolled our eyes and ignored him.

General Sung brought us outside to see his Terra Team in action. They flung rocks at the drill, but with no effect.

"We're doomed!" General Sung panicked.

Sokka slapped him in the face. "Get a hold of yourself man!"

"You're right. I'm sorry."

"Maybe you'd like the Avatar's help now?" I taunted.

He bowed down meekly at Aang. "Yes please."

Aang agreed, and General Sung left us to ponder the situation.

"The question is, how are we going to stop that thing?" Aang asked.

We all turned towards Sokka.

"Why are you all looking at me?"

"You're the idea guy." I said.

"So I'm the only one who can ever come up with a plan? That's a lot of pressure."

"And the complaining guy." I finished.

"That part I don't mind."

Members of the Terra Team came to get us.

"Please, you've got to help! One of our soldiers is badly injured.

"I'm coming!" Said Katara.

We all followed her. She pulled out her bending water and tried to heal the guy.