14

Nicki had done it on purpose. She’d sat there waiting for Robyn’s return to gauge her reaction to her choice of literature, and, by the look of things, it hadn’t missed its effect. She hadn’t just innocently leafed through the book though, that was quite impossible with the kind of stories it contained, and it had left her in a mild state of arousal. That had been a while. She hadn’t reached for one of the books in the series for a long time, and the thought of grabbing one to provoke Robyn had just popped into her mind. Normally, she wouldn’t have allowed herself a silly indulgence like that, but it was as if the whole situation with Robyn asked for it. Which was nonsense, of course. Clear and utter nonsense.
While she was there, with the goods in hand, she might as well finish reading the story she’d been engrossed in, despite keeping an eye out for Robyn. It was an excellent one, about a woman being seduced by a wine shop owner in Southern Italy. But that was where the similarities ended. With a pair of drenched bikini bottoms that hadn’t been so wet
without touching water in some time, Nicki made her way to her bedroom upstairs. She hoped no one would disturb her on the way, because she had some urgent business to attend to. She didn’t lock her door because she never did, she was on the top floor for a reason, and without thinking or hesitation, slipped out of her bathing suit and spread out on the bed. She held on to the images the story had planted in her mind. The shop owner lifting up the visitor’s dress and letting her hands roam over her body briefly before slipping them inside of her. Nicki found her clit rock hard and, to her great surprise, she came quickly and with deep shudders of her muscles after a few quick strokes. The last image she saw in her mind’s eye before her body surrendered was one of Robyn. It was more a memory, really, of
Robyn wading into the water that first afternoon by the sea. It shocked Nicki because she had believed the moment hadn’t touched her in the slightest. Quite a few things had changed since then, even though it had happened less than forty-eight hours ago. Careful Nicki. But, by god, she had enjoyed the sensation. A soft knock on the door startled her.
“Nicki?” Robyn’s voice came from the other side. “Are you there?”
Nicki hurried off the bed looking for something to cover herself with. The easiest option seemed a bathrobe that hung off a hook on the back of the door.
“Just a second.” She pulled the cord extra tight around her waist before opening the door. “Yes?”
“Am I disturbing you?”
Nicki didn’t pull the door too wide, so as not to expose the evidence of her arousal that she had casually discarded on the floor.
“I was just changing.” She cleared her throat. Was that a small smile playing on Robyn’s lips? “How can I help you?”
“I just thought I’d take you up on your offer of visiting your library.” The innocence in Robyn’s tone betrayed that she was anything but innocent.
“I wasn’t expecting you so quickly.” Nicki decided to give as good as she got. “You must be really curious.”
“There’s no time like the present, as they say.”
What had happened? Why did everything seem so different all of a sudden? So miles away from just yesterday morning. And how did she end up flirting rather shamelessly with a twenty-something at the top of the stairs?
“Would it be all right with you if I put some clothes on first? Just go through there.” She pointed in the direction of the door next to her bedroom.
“Why ever would it not be?” Robyn said coquettishly before dragging her gaze away from Nicki. Nicki closed the door and took a few deep breaths. Well, she had started it. The real question was if she could finish it. She pondered wearing a bra for a split second, but, as usual, decided against it. She located her t-shirt and shorts and put them on while her heart thundered furiously beneath her chest. When she checked herself in the mirror, more out of habit than self-consciousness, her glance fell on the picture of her and Ingrid next to it and, as though the image cast a spell on Nicki, the pitter-patter beneath her ribs grew quieter. Nicki smiled at the
golden-framed image—she could do that now, sometimes—and, as if agreeing on something with her former lover beyond time and space, nodded briefly. Maybe five years had been long enough.
“What exactly are you looking for?” Nicki didn’t have to put the playfulness in her voice, it was there, showing up uninvitedly but welcome nonetheless.
“Gosh, you really do have quite the collection here.” Robyn’s eyes scanned the rows of books feverishly, like a kid in a candy store. For the very first time. With unlimited funds.
“I would have dusted them off if you’d given me the time.”