20

Nicki woke up with her arms around another woman. She blinked against the lingering darkness and made out Robyn’s blonde mane of hair. She checked the alarm clock on the nightstand and waited for the first light of dawn to filter through the window. The curtains had been left open and soon the room would be bathed in bright light. Because, this morning, she felt as if she had no real reason not to, she held onto Robyn a little while longer. Her head hurt from crying, her nose bunched up and her eyes swollen. Before ticking off her mental to do list—another guest was arriving today, resulting in a
full house—she allowed herself a moment to process last night. She didn’t even have to ask herself if something had really—fundamentally—changed. There was another woman in her bed. And although nothing physical had transpired between them, everything was different now because, somehow, Robyn had gotten through to her on a deeply emotional level—one she’d considered a no-go zone years ago. A tween. Generation Y. Wasn’t that what they were called these days? It just goes to show, she thought, how people can utterly amaze you. She crawled a bit nearer to Robyn and pressed her stuffed nose into the girl’s hair. Once again, emotion engulfed her, like a shot of heroine in her veins, it seemed to immobilise and entrance her at the same time, until she felt Robyn stir beneath her.
“Morning,” she whispered.
“What time is it?” Robyn’s voice sounded as if it needed to be ironed.
“Six.” Nicki huddled closer.
“How utterly dreadful.” Robyn backed up against her, sighed, and went back to sleep. Not a morning person then. Nicki figured she could forego her morning beach run just this once. What better occasion than a woman in her bed? Now that the room was filled with morning light, her eyes caught hold of the picture of Ingrid and her. And, for an instant, it did feel like a lifetime ago. Nicki was not the same person anymore. She’d changed for the first time after meeting Ingrid. For a second time after the fatal crash. God, how she longed for the next transformation. Robyn’s words had kept playing in her mind throughout a fitful night. Who says you can’t be happy? There was only one person standing in her way, Nicki knew, and it was herself.
In her sleep, Robyn turned on her back, her wrinkled face aimed directly at Nicki, forcing a smile to her lips. Then another thought slowly made its way into Nicki’s mind. It was Saturday, August the thirty-first. It was her forty-first birthday. She didn’t want a cake, but she knew what she did want. As if Robyn had read her mind while she was sleeping, her eyes
flew open. “What day is it today?” she croaked.
“Saturday.”
A wide grin appeared on Robyn’s face. “Looks like you’re over the hill then.” She pushed herself up, shoving Nicki’s arm off her in the process, and straddled her. “Happy birthday.” Her eyes sparkled in the golden light of sunrise. She leaned down, her arms resting on either side of Nicki’s head, and pecked her softly on each cheek. Something loosened in the pit of Nicki’s stomach, but she had no time to dwell on it.
“What do you want for your birthday?” Robyn’s tone was not insistent, more probing and careful not to make assumptions.
“You,” Nicki replied without hesitation.
“I’ll see what I can do.” Robyn shot her a wide smile. One that dislodged another tight knot deep beneath Nicki’s ribcage. She bent her elbows and this time, her mouth didn’t aim for Nicki’s cheeks. Her lips landed on Nicki’s and the kiss sent a spark of desire right up her spine. She responded by grabbing hold of Robyn’s neck and pulling her close, until she realised that, despite it being her birthday, it was a day like any other at the Lodge.
“I can’t… not right now…” She tried to say in between passionate lip locks. “I have guests and—”
“Dao will take care of them. It’s your birthday.” Robyn had stretched her body on top of Nicki’s and her nipples pressed into Nicki’s flesh. She could hardly argue with that. She tried anyway.
“I have to help her. I’m always there.”
Robyn nipped at her neck. “Today you’re not. And you know what? The place is not going to crumble to the ground. The world will still turn. The guests will not leave.”
“God, you’re bossy.” Nicki couldn’t suppress a smile.
“I know.” Robyn stared down at her with her big blue eyes. “It’s one of my quirks.”
“Thank you for last night.” The words just came. Nicki didn’t have to think about them or weigh them. “You’ve no idea what it meant to me.”
“I do.” Robyn nodded and chewed the inside of her lip. “You’re beautiful and kind and so very thoughtful.” Nicki cupped Robyn’s chin with her hands. “Oh yeah?” Robyn’s eyes sparkled. “And you’re bloody hot.” She bent down and found Nicki’s ear. “And I want you so much.”