Chapter 12

Hayley's pov

I sighed as I packed my trunk it was the end of my first year at hogwarts. I was returning to the orphanage, alone. Everyone was talking about what they will do over the break. The weasley's had already left. After I forced my trunk closed I wandered down to the dungeons, I wanted to say goodbye to Snape. It was always cold in the dungeons, I knocked on the door to his office. The door opened, to reveal a very tired man.

"Miss Green," he nodded greeting me.

"I wanted to say goodbye and thanks for everything," a smile twitched at the corner of his mouth, he stepped aside so I could enter. I sat across from his chair.

"Are you heading home?" He said sitting across from me. I wince at the thought of the orphanage as a home. Hogwarts was more of my home.

"The orphanage yes," I corrected he offered me a sad smile. A very sad smile. Silence fell over us he seemed to be mulling something over

Severus's pov

Hayley seemed sad to be leaving, I will miss her. I dislike the idea of her going back to the orphanage, once more I wished for Lily to be alive she would know what to do. Hayley is struggling in potions perhaps if I give summer homework I could keep an eye on her. I pulled my draw open pulling out a worksheet for her.

"Miss Green I noticed you were struggling in potions perhaps some homework is prudent," I spoke clearing my throat her face lit up my heart felt warm. He took the work sheet nodding at me.

"Thankyou professor," we seem to be bonding well enough hopefully she would be ok.

She rose from her seat heading towards the door.

I sat in spinners end marking papers when An owl knocked at my window I opened it and the owl offered me a letter I opened it

Dear Professor Snape,

Enclosed is my homework, would it be too much to ask for more?
I'm extremely bored at the orphanage,
The others aren't pleased I get to go to a boarding school,
They ignore me,

Kind regards

Hayley Green

A smile played on my tight lips as I enclosed a new lot of homework.

Miss Green

I'm sorry to hear about the other students treatment of you.
Never fear Ive enclosed some defence against the dark arts homework,
A welcome break from potions i presume.

Kind regards

Severus Snape

Hayley's POV

I sat at my desk re-reading one of my letters from Professor Snape. I heard a loud knock at my dorm room door I looked up as it opened the matron stepped in and informed me that one of my professors would pick me up and take me to the boarding school so I should pack my trunk. I nodded folding the letters, which professor is picking me up? Hopefully it'll be professor Snape though I doubt he will want to see the orphanage. Harry was usually distracted by Hermione or Ginny so Professor Snape was the only one who paid any attention to me.

"Miss Green?" A deep voice drawled, I looked up to see Professor Snape.

"Professor, good to see you," I said smiling, the corner of his mouth tugged upwards.

"I'm here to accompany you to the train station," Snape explained,

I smile and nod. He picks up my trunk gesturing to the door I nod and walk outside. The matron waved us away once out of sight, Professor Snape produced a small cup. I gave him a confused look.

"you dislike human contact meaning apparation is out of the question-" he began to explain, My eyes widened with realisation.

"A port key?" I whispered looking at him with appreciation.

I wondered why he went through all this extra effort. He offered me a small smile and waved his hand at the port key. I grabbed onto its, I felt like I was being studied into a vacuum as I was teleported to the station. He nodded at me passing me my trunk, he waved A red headed woman who was standing by Ron and Harry. She came over to us and smiled at me.

"Mrs Weasley would you mind showing Miss Green to the platform as I must return to Hogwarts," Snape spoke with a monotone,

"Of course Severus Come on dear," I turned and waved at Professor Snape as he disapparated.

Mrs Weasley led Ginny through the wall, Fred and George followed. Harry and Ron were ran at the wall... CRASH CRASH THUD. I rushed forward as the pair hit the floor, I calmed the station guard who seemed peeved at the boys. I turned and patted the wall, it was a solid wall. Ron began freaking out, Harry began brainstorming somehow we landed on the car... the flying car.

"This is a terrible idea!" I exclaimed as we got in the car.

"Have any other ideas?"

My silence was the answer, as we flew through the air I was freaking out We were dead. It was a blur the train raced towards us... the whomping willow... Professor Snape round us... Harry and Ron were currently sitting in his office being berated. I don't know why I wasn't in there with them, he told me to wait for him to talk to me. Mcgonagall stormed into Snape's office some began, Harry and Ron fled from the office both pale, Harry looked furious Ron looked like he had wet himself. Mcgonagall gestured to Snape, I nodded Snape waved for me to come into his office I chewed my cheek, his lips were in a tight line. I winced under his gaze,

"Do you have any idea how moronic your little Jount was?" He started, I'm pretty sure I lost his trust now. Great I'm back to no one caring about me.

"I know sir, I'm sorry what is the necessary repercussions?" I said looked at my hands, I heard him sigh.

"Professor Mcgonagall allowed me too personally handle your case. You are to come to my classroom for one hour after classes every Wednesday for the rest of the year, you will clean cauldrons, make potions whatever is required," I let out a shaky breathe it could've been worse. Silence fell over us.

"Are you alright?" He asked, My head shot up was he concerned? Did he still care?

"Yes I am Professor,"

"You could've been hurt or killed," he muttered bitterly.

"I know,"

"Never let me catch you doing something so stupid again,"

I nodded a yawn fell from my lips as the adrenaline from throughout the day vanished from my system. Sleep would not find me in my dorm, my mind wandered to Professor Snape's Offer from last year. I opened my mouth to ask if I could sleep in his office,

"You may stay here tonight if you require," He spoke rising from his seat,

I nodded and he transfigured my clothes into A tee shirt and pants. He also summoned a house elf getting them to bring me dinner since I had missed dinner in the great hall. I just watched as he cleared his desk  the house elf reappeared placing a plate of toast, sausage and potato in front of me and Professor Snape. He summoned blankets and a pillow and placed them on the couch in his office. Finally he sat down across from me and we began to eat.