Chapter 23

Hayley's pov

Fred glanced over from his hiding place by the pillar just to the left of the alcove where filches cupboard was. I pointed my wand at the lock and mumbled the unlocking charm. throwing a last look over my shoulder I entered the cupboard. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the twins latest device. The small little box when set up properly was supposed to explode covering the person with coloured ink. I reached up and stuck it to brick above the door way. I opened the flap on the side and began pulling the thread out of the side to make the trigger. Thread stopped unwinding so I tugged on it. BOOM I let out a scream as shrapnel exploded slicing my hands. Blood started oozing from my wounds as the door flew open. George stood there wide eyes with panic.

"Hayls!" He exclaimed rushing forward, he moved his arms around me before retreating. He looked helpless as he realised he couldn't help me. Fred burst in.

"George! We have to get her to the hospital wing!"

Fred and George guided me out of the cupboard and rushed me to the hospital wing. They burst through the doors frantically calling for Pomfrey. Pomfrey rushed over and pointed me to a bed. George backed up slowly and sprinted out of the room. Fred explained to her what we had been doing and what happened.

Pomfrey waved her wand and healed my wounds even giving me a potion to prevent scaring. The doors flew open and Remus stormed in rushing towards me. He knelt down by my bed looking me over.

"Cub are you alright!" He exclaimed looking me over. I nodded and Pomfrey walked over.

"Miss green your free to go. No more pranking filch," Pomfrey instructed. Remus closed his eyes exhaling.

"Follow me Cub," Remus said standing up.

I sat in Remus's office he pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger. I shifted uncomfortably in our few months of knowing each other he had never been irritated let alone angry with me. I didn't like it. I stared out the window at the setting sun, the orange sky was darkening. Regret was twisting in my stomach as I waited for Remus to yell or scream.

"Hayley Potter what were you thinking? Pranking Filch!" He spoke exasperated, I stayed silent picking at the dried blood on my hand.

"Molly will certainly be hearing about that contraption the twins devised," he continued,

"They were distraught that it cut me," I mumbled, his head flew up his expression unreadable but blazing.

"I was distraught! My goddaughter was injured in some prank!"

he sighed deeply leaning back in his chair, he looked upset. My eyes widened he sounded so upset, I wished I could hug him. This was the truely horrible part of the curse, I'll never be able to hug my godfather, brother and any partner I have. He stood up and rounded the table, Remus knelt down in front of me.

"Show me your hand,"

I slowly held out my hand showing Remus it had been healed. dried blood lined where the cut had once been. He sighed waving his wand over my palm vanishing the blood. He sat back on his heels staring at the place where my cut was.

"Cub, I know pranks are fun we did them in school but you could get hurt... you did get hurt,"

"I thought it would be fun Moony,"

"I know Cub, it's ok,"

The door flew open and Mconagall stepped in a very serious look on her face. Remus stood up. She looked as if she had seen a ghost.

"The fat lady has been attacked,"

"how do we get into the tower now?" I asked confused,

"Is the culprit who I think it is Minnie?"

Remus gave her a pointed look, mconagall gave him a solemn nodded. Who was the culprit? Where was Harry? Was he ok? I looked up at Remus, he looked down at me letting out a tired sigh. I had grown accustomed to hearing those sighs from him, my godfather always seemed exhausted. He knelt down in front of me before speaking in his comforting fatherly tone.

"It's not safe in the tower Cub,"

She hurriedly explained that She needed Remus to help students gather in the great hall he nodded and guided me out of the room. The corridors were swarming with staff and students. I was overwhelmed by the waves of people. Remus glanced around, he had a protective air about him. Remus waved someone over,

"Severus, Could you make sure my danger magnet goddaughter gets to her house," Remus said giving me a serious look, Severus nodded

"Come Hayley," Severus drawled,

The halls were in a panic and students being corralled into the great hall. I rubbed my hands together as the noise assaulted my ears.

Severus's pov

I glanced down at Hayley, she was rubbing her hands together nervously. I softened at the sight of my daughter's anxiety. I looked around at the overexcited dunderheads, she would never get any quality sleep in these conditions. I spun on my heels and began walking to the dungeon, I looked over my shoulder to see Hayley hadn't moved. I cleared my throat her head flew up, I jerked my head in a indication she should follow me. Gratitude filled her features as she quickly caught up with me. The number of students lessened the closer we got to the dungeons. I opened the door to my office and flicked my wand setting up the couch bed. Hayley moved to sit on bed. I smiled at her.

"Thankyou Severus,"

"No need to thank me Hayley,"

I wonder should I bring up adoption is now the time? With her brothers life at risk? Not now let her rest Severus. I went to leave the room only for a small voice to cut through the cold night air.

"Severus? Please stay for a little, the attack it's left me a little- I don't know... never mind I'm sorry," Hayley mumbled,

"It's alright I need to mark some papers anyway," I took my place at my desk and began marking papers.