Chapter 56

Hayley's pov

George,

Would you like to be my date to Slughorns party?

I scrunched up that paper and tossed it across the room. How do I phrase this? Every time I wrote the letter it sounded... wrong. It read as if I was asking him out on a date. Which I obviously wasn't. I mean I wasn't... right? This was just him being my plus one. We always managed to have a good time together. George is good company. Granted he would make a brilliant date but I didn't want him to be my date... Did I? Did I want him to be? Did I want it to be a date? Would he want it to be? Nope I absolutely do not want to date him and he would never want me. I grabbed another piece of paper and began writing.

George,
I'm going to this dinner party on Sunday evening.
Would you like to be my plus one?
If so pick me up from Spinners end at 5:00pm.
Also let me know if you are,

-Hayley Snape

That sounded right, I whistled and Hedwig hopped over. Harry had leant me her for this delivery since I may have left it to the last minute and Hedwig was the fastest owl I know. I held the letter out to Hedwig who took it in her beak. She took off out my dorm window. I flopped onto my bed with a sigh. What am I going to wear? A have a few nice dresses Remus bought me and the dress from Sirius. Severus had also given me a few nice clothes I could wear. A black knee length fit and flare dress popped into my mind. It had bright pink flowers all over. I hadn't worn it before but That could work. Not too formal but not too casual. Not to mention I think George would like it. Still not a date.

A wrapping at my window caught my attention drawing me from my thoughts. I got up and opened the window. In Hedwig as beak was a different letter. On the front was printed a giant W. I grinned taking the letter from Hedwig.

"Thankyou hedwig, your free to go back to Harry," I said petting her head.

She let out a loud squawk and flapped her wings flying out the window. I flopped back onto my bed, I glanced over at Fred and Georges empty beds. For some reason Dumbledore hadn't assigned anyone to this dorm room. Which has allowed me to still live here essentially with my own apartment. I opened the letter to see George's messy scrawl.

To the lovely Hayls,
Of course I'll go with you
See you at 5:00pm
Snape won't kill me right?

Yours
George

A smile tugged at the corners of my lips and a light airy giggle escaped my lips. The memory of when he delivered my birthday present flashed in my mind. His eyes boring holes into mine. The mischievous smiles. I shook my head banishing the heat that had crept up my cheeks. I do not like George Weasley. At least not in that way I reminded myself.

Severus's pov

I rubbed may temple letting out a deep sigh. I tapped the desk with the quill thinking of how I would phrase this. how does one phrase a letter from the beyond? Hayley will need closure if the worst is to pass. The war is worsening. The dark lords forces have been growing. Albus has been attempting to do the same despite his imminent death. From either Draco, myself or the curse.

the floo roared to life, I looked up to see Lupin step through. He sat across from me and held out a thick envelope with Hayley's name printed on the front. Carefully I took it from him offering a puzzled look in return.

"Severus we both know with my... condition there's a very good chance I will not make it out of this war alive," Lupin said, he had dark bags under his sunken eyes. He looked exhausted. I was aware of his efforts to enlist other werewolves under Albus's order.

"In that envelope is a copy of my will and a letter to Hayley," Lupin explained,

I sucked in a breath and placed the envelope on my desk. Merlin this was so real. It didn't feel real last time. During the first war if I died no one would've missed me. Now if I die during this bloody war I leave behind a 16 year old daughter, A daughter who has already lost so much. I covered my face with my hands.

"It somehow didn't feel this real last time," Lupin said gently

"Agreed,"

"What happens to Hayley if we both don't make it?" Lupin asked softly,

I let out a deep sigh. This was something I hadn't thought about. Deliberately. It was a very real possibility and I had no plan. No way to ensure her well-being if we were both to perish in this god forsaken war. In truth I was terrified of dying. Terrified of what awaited me. Terrified of leaving Hayley alone.

I rubbed my temples again. This preparation was truly exhausting. I stared at the envelope that sat beside the blank page I was using as a conduit for my message to Hayley in case of my death. My dark musings were interrupted by Lupin letting out a snort. He offered a tired version of his joking smile.

"I'm sure George Weasley will take care of her," Lupin said in a joking but albeit flat tone. I cringed at the prospect of my daughter dating.

"Your giving me a headache," I groaned lowering my head to rest it on my folded arms.