Chapter 23 - Changes

Kiana pov:

"I'm still unable to believe that you were able to capture these four Homunculi and their leader on your own," Col. Mustang mumbled as he stood next to me. We were watching other soldiers load the Homunculi and Dante onto a jail carriage, transmutation circles drawn all over it to keep the Homunculi at their weakest.

"I told you that I will explain everything that happened after going back to Central, didn't I?" I responded, smiling while meeting his eyes.

"You did but I can't help but be curious."

Laughing softly with a shake of my head, I said, "Anyway, we need to hold a meeting with all of the seniors of the military, including the Fuhrer. We should have some reporters and representatives from newspapers to attend the meeting too because I plan to make everything about myself public now."

"Are you sure you want to do that, Kiana?" questioned Kyran. He sounded mildly worried, "I mean, letting the world know everything...what if they don't take it well?"

"It will be fine, Kyran. I have a good feeling about this."

"Kyran san's words seem a bit troubling," Riza san said, eyeing him and me skeptically. "Are you sure trusting them is a good idea, Colonel?"

"Kiana and Kyran have been with us for long enough for us to trust them. I'm sure Kiana has had a good reason for hiding what she has been hiding – besides, we can't come to any conclusion without hearing what she has to say. Let's just go with the flow for now."

Happy with the colonel's trust in me, Kyran and I excused ourselves to meet up with Jean and his family. We had already packed all the things we needed for our trip back to Central and he was spending the remaining time with Haley and his mother. It would be quite some time before we came here again, though I was sure we'd be meeting everyone soon in Central on the day Jean and I would hold our wedding.

Upon entering the house, I was greeted by cheerful smiles. Haley was the first to run up to me and grab my hand, "Aunt Kiana! Come and see what I made for you and Uncle Jean and Kyran!"

She led me to a small, round cake she had baked with the help of her grandmother – it was decorated with cute candies on the top and had Jean's, Kyran's and my name written on it. I took it into my hands, looking over it with a smile, "It's so pretty, Haley! Thank you so much!"

"Do you really like it?!" she asked, her eyes sparkling.

"I do, and I'm sure it tastes really good too. Can we have some now?"

"Of course!" she grinned and scuttled to the kitchen, only to return with a knife held carefully in her hand, "Here! All three of you should cut the cake together!"

With a short laugh, the three of us cut the cake, eliciting cheers and applause from Haley. We ate the cake with everyone else of the family while sparing lighthearted conversations. Annie san gave me and Jean a few tips on how to get things ready for our wedding, as in requirements that we had to make sure we didn't forget. We made a list of them on a piece of paper which was safely tucked away in my purse.

After lunch, which Col. Mustang and Riza san had joined, we took a train back to Central City. We spared casual conversation along with discussing the basics of Jean's and my wedding but, of course, wasn't spared from curious questions from the colonel and Riza san. Putting off the topic only roused more suspicion in Riza san but she gave up on trying to make me talk after a few attempts.

It was early the next morning when the train finally arrived in Central's station. We got off and I watched as the carriage in which the Homunculi and Dante were was taken away by several State Alchemists who had come to pick them up on the colonel's orders.