Chapter 18 - Developments

Doesn't jean look so charming in that pic? >w<

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jean pov:

"You seem to be in quite a good mood today," Lt. Breda commented as I hummed a tune while finishing the colonel's paperwork.

"I'm always in a good mood," I said with a shrug and he raised a brow. "Well, I've always been in a good mood since I started dating Kiana."

"That's true, I suppose," mumbled Lt. Fuery. "Speaking of Kiana san, how come she's not here yet?"

That was a good question – Kiana was never late to work but it was already twenty minutes past the time she usually arrived at the office with Kyran. I wondered if she had been sent on a mission by the colonel. However, just as I thought that, she walked into the office alone, headed straight to the colonel's desk to pick up a pile of papers and took her seat beside me. She didn't greet anyone, not even me, and proceeded with going through the paperwork almost emotionlessly.

"Hey, Kiana," I greeted and she looked at me at that. She met my gaze and nodded with a barely visible smile and silently greeted the others before going back to the paperwork.

"Um, where's Kyran?" I asked.

"He didn't come today – he said he wanted to relax at home," she answered flatly without looking at me.

I blinked dumbly for a moment, wondering why she was acting so distant all of a sudden. Then I remembered the kiss we had shared yesterday – was she upset about it? Did she not like it? Did she not want it? But...she had kissed me on her own accord before we parted yesterday...that meant she didn't not like it, right? Was she bothered by something else then?

Or perhaps she was angry about running into May yesterday even though she said she didn't mind it.

"Oi, what did you do?" Lt. Breda whispered in my ear and I glared at him.

"I didn't do anything!" I hissed in return and looked back at Kiana, a sort of uneasiness bubbling within me. Why wasn't she talking to me? Had I done something wrong? Was this going to end like all my other relationships??

No, I couldn't think like that. I couldn't be negative. I shook my head and decided to give her some time instead of pressurize her to talk to me. Maybe she was sleepy and yet to get into work mood. Maybe she wasn't a morning person. Maybe she just had something on her mind...

Despite all the possibilities I thought of, I still couldn't calm my heart. I kept glancing at her as I worked but she showed no change in her behavior. I was beginning to worry but I noticed her stop working suddenly. She narrowed her eyes as if she was thinking of something deeply instead of seeing what was right in front of her eyes. She then closed her eyes and sighed deeply while clenching her free hand and that's when I knew that something was definitely something bothering her...something serious.

I didn't get a chance to question her about it because the colonel walked in the next moment and called for me and WO Falman to go to the Gen. Haruko's office along with him to request permission for a search through a burglar gang's safe house that we had managed to track down recently. I was reluctant to leave without talking to Kiana first but I had no choice but to follow through the colonel's orders first.

Much to my displeasure, the meeting with the Gen. Haruko extended till after lunch time because of some important discussions he had with the colonel and I had become quite restless. As soon as the meeting was done, I hurried back to the office to talk to Kiana, leaving the colonel and WO. Falman behind, but Kiana wasn't there.

"Where's Kiana?" I asked Lt. Fuery.

"My my, can't bear to be away from your girlfriend for even a few hours, huh?" the colonel teased as he walked in a few minutes after me but I ignored him. I was worried about her strange behavior and I wanted to talk to her – I didn't lhave time for his jokes or teasing.