Chapter 5 - State Alchemist

This chapter is dedicated to ShyLittleMarshmallow! Happy reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kiana pov:

"I am Col. Frank Archer, your superior commanding officer from now on, Kiana Sojuro. I am a man who strives for perfection and I expect to see flawless performance from you on the missions I assign to you. Am I clear?"

"Yes, Colonel." I answered as I stood in front of his desk and stared into his steely eyes.

"Good. I like it that your answer is immediate and confident." He said before pushing a wooden box and a dark brown leather folder towards me. "Here is your pocket watch and certificate. You may open it and read it out loud for us to hear – your superior officer and colleagues would want to know the title you have received."

I gave a barely visible smile as I reached for the box and the document. I was glad I had become a Sate Alchemist but I was wary about the kind of missions I would go on. I was also a little unsettled about this man I was going to be working under – Col. Archer seemed like an uptight and no-nonsense type of person. He wasn't welcoming or friendly like Col. Mustang and I had a feeling that I wouldn't be very comfortable working under him. But this was the decision made by the Fuhrer so I couldn't complain and I just hoped it wouldn't be as bad as I thought it would be.

I opened the box with the pocket watch first and looked over the same pattern I had seen on Edward's pocket watch. I rubbed it with my thumb while inhaling deeply before clipping it onto one of my pant belt loops and pocketing it. I then opened the folder to see the printed certificate inside.

"This official document certifies that the nation of Amestris, prefecture of the Generalissimo, appoints the name 'Glacier' to Kiana Sojuro in the name of Fuhrer King Bradley." I read and nodded slowly with a smile, finding my title to be pretty nifty. "The State Alchemist shall follow all orders and policies of the military. The State Alchemist is entitled to the use of ample research funds, unrestricted access to classified documentation, access to various governmental facilities, and a military rank equal to that of 'Major'. Signed, King Bradley."

"Glacier Alchemist, hmm? That's an interesting title. Congratulations, Kiana." Col. Archer said while smirking. I twitched and looked at him, not really liking how casual he was being with me.

"Thank you, Colonel." I said simply.

"That aside, I want you to pick up some documents from General Brad – it has details of the first mission I plan to send you on. His office is down the corridor on the right. Go and bring it." He said flatly and went ahead with looking over some document on his table.

I gave a chaste bow before walking to my assigned seat and placing my certificate on my table. I then left the room and walked down the corridor to find General Brad's office. Just as I was halfway down the corridor, I noticed Lt. Havoc trudging his way through the corridor from the other side while carrying a rather big bundle of papers. We came to a stop in front of each other and exchanged greetings.

"Sojuro san, it's good to see you." Lt. Havoc said with a grin. "Congratulations on becoming a State Alchemist!"

 "Congratulations on becoming a State Alchemist!"