Chapter 20 - Vacation

Kiana pov:

I watched Hughes san and Gracia san in amuse while they stared at Yukio who was sitting on my lap and swinging his legs while happily drinking the cup of hot chocolate Gracia san had got him. Kyran and I were drinking our share of hot chocolate as well and stifling yawns every now and then.

"Hughes san," I spoke up and he met my gaze, narrowing his eyes ever so slightly, "now that you've seen who I am and what I can do, can you trust me?"

After Yukio had healed his wound without a scar, both he and Gracia san were stunned. They could barely believe what they had just seen but Hughes san, having witnessed my Hado spell first hand, seemed to come to the conclusion that something about me wasn't as normal as any other person in this world. He believed Kyran's explanation of Shinigami and an alternate world to some extent but was probably still confused and unsure of how much to let me in on what he had found out about the Homunculi in the military.

"To some extent, but I am yet to see your powers as a Shinigami, as you put it, besides the so-called materialization of your soul slayer and that fire blast you hit the Homunculus with," he answered, once again glancing at Yukio who had curtly finished his hot chocolate and was now scuttling about the house looking over everything with innocent curiosity.

"You probably will see more of my powers soon, Hughes san, as well as hear of the facts becoming public. I can't hide the truth about me forever, especially when there are Homunculi to stop." I glanced at the remainder of the brown liquid in my hands with a smile, "They're planning something big, aren't they? They've been acting very suspicious – in general and during Kyran's and my run-ins with them. To be more specific, I think they know that something about me is different and they're studying me so they can figure out a way to beat me easily. Too bad for them, that won't work."

"How can you say that? If they do learn ways to counter your abilities, it's obvious that they will win a fight."

"But no one has seen anything more than my first release of power," I said and reached for my sword. Hughes san and Gracia san tensed but remained as they were. "Freeze all to white: Yukio."

On my command, my sword took the form of my Shikai's Naginata and Yukio came to stand by my side, the color of his eyes deeper and glistening with the power that flowed through him. He was silent and his expression was almost sharp, contrary to his earlier childlike enthusiasm, and the floor on which he stood had a layer of ice formed on it – it was enough to show Hughes san and Gracia san that Yukio was nothing short of powerful despite his appearance.

"This is your first release of power?" Hughes san asked tentatively. "How many more releases of power do you have?"

"Just one more."

"What is your second release of power like?" he pressed.

"Stronger and more dangerous," I said simply. "I cannot show you my Bankai unnecessarily, because it causes a sharp spike in the pressure in the air around me. You will probably find it hard to breathe and feel energy drain out of you...so I'll save it for when the time to use it actually comes."

I released m Shikai and Yukio relaxed. He blinked several times before glancing at me and I ruffled his hair, earning a cute giggle in return. He ran off after that to look at the delicate pieces of decoration in the tall showcase in the corner of the living room.

I met Hughes san's gaze again and said, "So, are you ready to tell me what you found out about the Homunculi?"

He was silent for several moments, his eyes locked with mine. Clenching his fists while looking down with a frown, he said, "The Homunculi have infiltrated the military – they're very close to the Fuhrer himself. They are misusing the military's resources and intelligence to do something big, just as you guessed. From the research I have been doing while following a series of suspicious events, I have come across several large cities, the aerial photos of which show transmutation circles that are drawn through the entire city."