Chapter 1 - Past and Present

This chapter is dedicated to That_One_Pirate for being the first to comment! Happy reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kiana pov: [name means precious]

"Hey Boss! I think there's someone who's come to see you! And all of us in the shop floor are in complete hysteria because of it! It's like she's talking Greek and Latin and we have no idea how to respond!!"

Turning my head and attention away from the latest design I was working on and discussing with the tailors, I saw an employee of my fashion store hurrying to me in absolute panic. I handed the latest sketches I had in my hand, that of a one piece dress with a delicate stoned belt and matching collar designer work, to the tailor and turned to face my anxious employee.

"Calm down, Takeru, and tell me what all this hollering is about." I said with a smile.

"Boss, this really funky looking lady has turned up out of nowhere! On the clothes and accessories shopping floor! She's asking us all kinds of questions on the clothes and accessories – about the material, the stitching style and decorative extras used – and we have no idea what to answer to her! She mentioned your name quite casually so we assumed that you would know her. Nanami san somehow convinced her to sit and wait in the lounge sofa...." He said while fidgeting.

"Funky looking lady, huh? Is she wearing a fur stole?" I questioned as I walked with Takeru to the elevators.

"Yeah....so do you know who it is, Boss?"

I smiled and got into the elevator. "Yes, I do."

Once we were on the shopping floor, I headed to the small lounge along with Takeru and smiled upon seeing a middle aged woman who I considered as a teacher, mentor and a very close friend sitting there along with her secretary. She was dressed quite fashionably despite her age, or 'funky' as Takeru had put it, and had an expensive fur stole wrapped around her shoulders – it was the typical style she followed wherever she went which made her easy to spot and recognize. She looked up at Takeru and me upon hearing our footsteps and stood up with a beaming smile. When we reached her, I didn't hesitate to fall into an embrace, closing my eyes and relishing her gesture of affection.

"Elaine! It's so good to see you!" I said when we pulled out of the embrace.

"And it's so good to see you, darling! It's been ages since I last saw you and look at how beautiful you've become!" She said while looking over me and cupping my cheeks with her hands.

"You say that every time you see me, Elaine." I responded with a light laugh.

"But it's the truth! You seem more and more beautiful every time I see you, Kiana, and successful too. I feel proud to tell the world that you are my best student, one that I even consider as my own daughter." She said while giving my cheek a pat.

"Thank you, Elaine, for thinking of me as someone so close. Besides, I am everything I am today because of you. I learnt from the best."

"I suppose I am the best." She said teasingly before looking around at my employees who stiffened under her stare. "Anyway, your employees seem to be a bit lacking at the moment – even though they're in the fashion industry, they don't seem to have any idea about the materials and design details of the clothes and accessories you design. I hope those in the shoe department know what they're selling, at least. You should consider training them so they can sell more efficiently and improve business."

"They're pretty good at selling but I suppose it is better if they know the materials and design. I'll make sure I train them as quickly as possible." I nodded and asked Takeru to get us some tea. I then guided Elaine to the staff's informal lounge so we could talk more freely and comfortably without having people eavesdrop on our conversation.