Chapter 21 - Revelation

Kiana pov:

Jean was beaming with the ring held out in front of me. Cheers had erupted in the audience and I looked at them in disquiet before meeting Jean's eyes in panic, which he noticed. His smile fell and he lowered the ring a little while getting an expression of worry.

He opened his mouth to speak but I panicked more and spoke first, "Jean, I-I...I just...I'm sorry, I need a moment."

I rushed away from Jean and out of the crowd that slowly fell silent. I stopped when I was a good distance away and paced while biting my lip. How could this have happened? Why didn't I see it coming? How could Jean have proposed to me before I told him the truth and when...when there was every possibility that the time for me to return home and never come here again was getting closer with every day that passed?

Urahara san was surely close to finding the solution, wasn't he?

"Kiana? Are you alright?" I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard Jean's voice. He walked up to me followed by Kyran, Elaine, Annie san and Julian san.

"Jean, I-I'm so sorry, I just-"

"Hey, it's okay," he said gently, cupping my cheeks. "It's not anything surprising that you were surprised. There were so many people and I didn't even give you any hints about this! It's okay that you got nervous."

"Jean, that's not what happened. I just-"

"Kiana dear, you don't have to get upset about what happened. Marriage is a big step and I remember how overwhelmed I was when Jean's father proposed to me," Annie san said with a smile. "Just relax for a few minutes and Jean will propose again and then you can say yes!"

"We should do that, Kiana," agreed Jean. "No one will make fun of you getting nervous, though they might tease you for you later on. It's okay that you're nervous now."

"No it's not!" I said and stepped away from him, effectively making him let go of my cheeks. "It's not okay, Jean. Have you forgotten that I told you that there may come a day when I have to leave? When I'll go home and never get to see you again?"

"What?" Annie san asked, sounding confused. "What do you mean, Kiana?"

"I remember what you told me, Kiana, but I just thought that it's because you can't stay away from your home in Risembool. I mean, I'm okay with staying in Risembool if you-"

"No, you don't understand!" I interrupted. "I meant what I said! If I go home, I'll disappear for good! I'll never see you again and-"

"Wait a minute," said Elaine, "are you saying that you dated Jean for close to a whole year on the condition that you could break it off when you felt like going home? Did you think that this is a joke?"

"No, of course not! I love Jean very much and I...it's just that things are complicated for me and-" Annie san scoffed in disbelief and I felt a chill run down my spine. "Please, you have to let me explain. There's a reason why I'm-"

"Save it," said Julian, his eyes suddenly sharp. "You were playing with my brother's feelings, weren't you? Look at how easily you're confessing that you have no plans of being with Jean...I had only heard that women in the cities were all for fun and frolic but I never thought that they'd be this shameless."

"Please, Julian san, I-"

"Julian is right. We were all fooled by you, weren't we?" Annie san said, and my heart thudded in anxiousness and hurt.

I turned to Jean, "Jean, please, you have to let me explain to you. There's a reason why I said those words and why I'm hesitant even now. I know that I may sound rude now but when you hear the truth, you'll understand."