Chapter 16 - Development

Kiana pov:

I looked around the simple living room as we sat waiting for Izumi san to return. Edward and Alphonse were still squirming, desperately trying to escape the bindings their teacher had put on them but, of course, they couldn't do much. Kyran and I were relaxed though, and not really worried about the interrogation we were to face.

Less than a few minutes later, Izumi san walked out of the door she had previous gone through, looking extremely pissed, and Edward and Alphonse tensed. Izumi san dragged one of the dining chairs to sit on in front of us and put one leg over the other while looking between Kyran and me and her students disapprovingly. However, her gaze lingered longer on Kyran before she finally spoke.

"You useless pupils!" she bellowed and the two of them flinched. "What the hell were you thinking, getting mixed up with a Homunculus?! I asked you to pick up my medicine but I end up having to come save your asses from a bunch of hooligans?!"

"S-sensei, we didn't mean to get into trouble! Greed just broke in and...!"

"Shut your mouth!" she reprimanded and I smiled awkwardly as the brothers wibbled.

"See what you get for becoming a dog of the military?! You can't even run a simple errand without getting kidnapped and thrown into life threatening trouble! I should have pounded you two harder when I saw you," she seethed. "And you! Don't you have any self respect?! How could you become a State Alchemist?! You should have self respect and not lower yourself to work like the military's lapdog!"

She was glaring at me as she yelled and I cleared my throat. "Well, you see, Ma'am, I have a good reason for joining the military as a State Alchemist. I'm looking for something and the funding really helps and..."

"So you're after money? That's even worse...lowering yourself to do the military's dirty work just for your desire for money," she said with a scoff.

"I strongly believe that the military helps people, Ma'am. I've been on several missions where I saved people lives...including Kyran's," I said while glancing at him.

"It's good that you saved the life of a Chimera but it doesn't mean the military won't order you to slaughter innocent people without reason. I know very well what they do in the name of justice or protecting the commoners, as they put it."

"But Onee san isn't someone who will hurt people unnecessarily!" Alphonse supported but whimpered when Izumi san glared at him.

"Oh? Onee san? Since when have you been so close to anyone to call them Onee san? Has she been brainwashing you with other deranged ideas while in the military?"

"Actually, they're the ones who helped me get into the military...I asked them to help me," I said and noticed Edward give me a look of gratitude. "Some...complicated things happened and I really needed the resources that the military can offer to find a way out of my situation so..."

"Situation? And what, may I ask, is this situation of yours?" she pressed with a raised brow.

I glanced at Edward, unsure of what to say. He understood my dilemma and sighed softly before sitting up as best as he could despite the bindings. Izumi san looked between the two of us curiously but narrowed her eyes when Edward spoke.

"You can tell her the truth, Onee san. She might be able to help you because she's a lot more knowledgeable in alchemy than we are. Well, not that knowledge in alchemy will help you all that much, but she might have a stronger insight on the Gate."

"The Gate? She knows of the Gate?" Izumi san asked and then looked at me. "Have you seen the Gate too? Although, I do not see hints of you having used Human Transmutation."