Chapter 7 - Rekindled

Guy in the picture is Alfred :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kiana pov:

"So you've decided to move here with your wife and brothers?" A tall buff man carrying a gun asked while eying me and Alfred.

I did my best to smile naturally as Alfred held me with an arm around my waist but my brow was twitching every now and then. I was feeling awkward and uncomfortable in this position, all the more because I was leaning against Alfred with a hand on his chest.

"That's right, Sir. We are wandering blacksmiths but we have decided to settle down in a city so we can start a family." He answered and I resisted from choking on the air at how coolly he was speaking.

"Hmm....is that what you carry a sword?" The man asked while eying my Zanpakuto that Grant was holding.

"Yes, Sir." Grant responded and held out the sword for the man to look over. "This is the very first sword that we forged so we always keep it with us for good luck. Would you like to see it? It's beautifully designed and perhaps you might be impressed enough to be the first person to give us business here!"

"I have no use for swords." The man replied with a scoff. "You can stay in this city and I will give you a list of rules and regulations to follow while you're here. Now follow me, I'll show you where you'll be staying."

"Let's go, Honey. And let me take that bag – it must be heavy for you." Alfred said while looking down at me with a smile and I yet again clenched my jaw while forcing out a smile as well.

The walk to where we would be living in this town, so to say, was silent and even though Alfred, Grant, John and I walked casually, as if we were innocent tourists, we looked around and tried to pick up details of everything happening in the city. I saw several people carrying guns, standing in groups and talking, while others seemed to be scouting the streets and the civilians cowered in fear as they passed them. Polaris City wasn't very big – probably a third of the size of Central – but it was well developed. However, there wasn't a single working pay phone or car in sight – the pay phone cubicles that had been set up before were either smashed to the ground or tied shut with thick wide tape. It looks like the people of this city were not allowed to contact anyone outside and I'm pretty certain that they were not allowed to leave the city either.

We reached an apartment complex of sorts soon and climbed up to the first floor before the man let us into a two bedroom house. In an attempt to keep in character, I moved Alfred's arm off my shoulder and looked around the house excitedly. I then twirled in the center of the living room before looking at the others with a wide grin.

"This house is wonderful, Alfred! It's really cozy, isn't it?" I asked, feeling a light blush surface in embarrassment for acting this way.

"It is, Honey. I'm sure we'll be able to settle here comfortably. Thank you, Sir, for allowing us to live here." Alfred said and bowed to the mercenary that had led us here.

"Hmph! Whatever. I'll return tomorrow morning to give you instructions from the Lords."

He didn't even wait for us to respond and he walked out of the house while slamming the door shut behind him. When his footsteps faded out, I let out a deep sigh and slumped my shoulders. I looked at Alfred, Grant and John and blushed again in embarrassment. I rubbed the back of my neck with an awkward smile and the three of them cleared their throats while averting their eyes from me.

"I'm very sorry about this, Kiana. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable in any way but this was our best bet of getting into the city without being prosecuted. We surely would have been shot if the mercenaries knew we were from the military." Alfred apologized. "And honestly, I feel odd acting this way too – I'm a married man with a wife and two sons, after all."