PART 9: A Thief's Consequences .1

Rebecca's P.O.V.

The barricade shook but I shook harder.

We had barely slept since all power to the house just went off. Just like that, in the middle of the night.

Drawbridge went down, shutters went up, doors unlocked, lights went out and water stopped running.

Everything that was important got locked down. The door to the armoury, the doors to the store rooms, to the computer room and Evelyn's attic, were all closed off and locked down which sucked because they were the best rooms to protect ourselves with.

Everything else got opened up which meant we couldn't lock the front doors, or the side doors, or the back doors or the garage doors... all the goddamn doors that were supposed to be locked were unlocked and vice-versa.

And the worst of it was the blaring alarm that would not turn off.

Melissa had managed to tell us about the password, had told us not to log out, but she never told us that the password was on a timer and that in the middle of the second night. That four hours after Evelyn's projected return time, the password would stop working and the house would shut down.

Why was that even a feature? How had Evelyn even thought in advance to put that up now? Did she really not trust us? I mean really? We had given her no reason before.

Now Melissa was missing. The Radio in the jeep was turned off, we hadn't been contacted by her at all. So, we don't know who won. Did Melissa succeed in killing Evelyn? Did Evelyn get the upper hand? Were both of them dead in Ottawa? We would never know.

And seeing that with all the wrong doors locked or unlocked, we were basically sitting ducks. Not only had her stupid zombies had gotten out. more zombies kept entering the enclosure, drawn in by the alarm.

We had heard from the radio frequencies we were allowed to tap into that zombies were over acting all over the city and not just here. But it seemed like most of them were at our doors.

And a drifter car kept driving past our house. They never came in to help us like we had hoped they would. It seemed they were just waiting for us to die or starve in here.

And we would die. I knew that now. And it was stupid Evelyn's fault.

We should have just stayed in our little apartment and not dared to dream so big, to set our hopes on infiltrating the Shady House.

I was crying again, trying to smother my own whimpers with my hands. I had completely discarded my gun, I had no idea where it went.

Will was furious with me. My whimpering shrieks had woken him up from the precious little sleep he was getting.

He picked up my gun and slammed it into my trembling hands. "We don't have the time for this Rebecca," he snapped. "You need to man-up. No one's going to be coddling you from now on. If those zombies get in and you don't try to shoot them, you're going to die and none of us are going to care!"

I only cried harder and he made this disgusted "tsking" noise at me before shrugging me off and disappearing to a quieter place in the house. This left me alone with Keith who hadn't said two words to me after we were finished yelling at each other about the situation. Honestly, it was a miracle we managed to survive that initial realization that the zombies were out and trying to get in.

The door behind our barricade began to crack. It wouldn't be long now before our defences broke down or before our food and water supply ran out.

But I had a feeling the zombies were going to get in long before we starved.