PART 1: A Shady Lady .3

Melissa's P.O.V.

Once I had lost Evelyn I found myself a working car, hotwired it and went after the Drifters. By working car I mean it had all four doors, had some gas in the tank and still ran. This left me in a tiny little box car that would probably explode if I were to ram a zombie with it.

My plan was simple, trail the caravan, follow their route but don't be directly seen. Once they had stopped I just had to save Evelyn's stupid ass, torture her for the info, kill her and then resume my life as the owner of the Shady House.

However, as soon as I heard the roar I stopped the car. I knew that sound, everyone in the city had it memorized. The Beast was on the hunt and it clearly had found something to devour. It was unsafe to be out while he was hunting, even if he had just eaten, and even less safe in this car.

I sat there for a bit listening for any sound or movement before deciding to ditch the car. I had walked two blocks grumbling to myself. This whole day was a bust. Evelyn was gone, her secrets and house gone with her. The only thing I had left was to return to my newest safe house and awaiting companions and try to live out the rest of my life in relative peace.

But luckily, fate had a different plan for me.

"Geeze Steve, not that I'm not grateful, but did you have to run the truck off the road?"

That was Evelyn's voice, I knew it anywhere. I couldn't see her or who she was talking to but she was alive and well. And that meant so was my plan.

"Okay, okay. Can you take me home? I'm a bit too injured to walk all the way there," Evelyn said.

I heard a low grumbling that could have been the engine of a big truck but also could have been something else. I didn't have time to worry about that, Evelyn's voice was gone. I smiled to myself as I got back into my car. It was time to get the Shady House.