Promises in the air: Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

“I’m alright.” I lied keeping my arms crossed close to my chest feeling a bit warm. “Why are we here?”

“Don’t you want to have fun?”

“With you, I don’t think that’s possible.” I mumbled.

“Jenny,” He started. When did he start to give me nicknames? “Loosen up, I know I’m not the best person, but I want you to feel safe.”

“Again, with you?” I teased,"But why?"

“Because you remind me of Sophie,” He confessed, “Now come on!” He answered holding on to my arm and rushed to the line. What is wrong with him grabbing my arm?

“Whoa, give a girl a hint, please.” I snapped getting off his grip.

“My bad,” He answered apologetic, “How much do I owe you?” He asked the man that was dressed in a red suit sitting behind a booth feeling tired wanting to know why the heck he joined this job.

He smiled as if he smiled for the first time. “Fifteen dollars, please.”

Hector motioned his hands in his left pocket in his light blue Levy jeans and he couldn’t find it. He sighed and then looked in the other pocket. “Ahh, here we go.” He answered giving him the money.

“Thank you.” He answered taking the money and then got the tickets on top of the cashier. “Have a nice evening and hope it works out.”

I laughed wanting to know what he meant by working out. Did he think, no, never! I sighed while Hector laughed when we walked further into the wonderland when he saw my expression. There were booths everywhere with the same decoration which were red and white stripes going down, but all of them had a purpose.I looked around nearly getting bumped into a girl that looked around the age of five. She had a light complexion that seemed as if she’s mixed with Asian because her eyes were small and swollen. Her brunette hair was in a pony tail with her chopped bangs in the front. She had a chocolate ice cream cone in her hand which seemed she was enjoying because bits of chocolate circled her big cheeks. She tried to keep it straight, but it didn’t work because it eventually fell to the ground of dirt. Aww, I thought to myself. I should help her. I looked at her and then at Hector. He eventually met my gaze.

“Really?” He whined shaking his head.

“Come on, it’s a little girl and I feel like it’s my fault.” I admitted moving my hands in my black jacket pocket. “Come on.” I stiffed up my body wondering if he’d do it.

“Alright, but promise me, we’ll go whatever ride I want.” He answered motioning his hands in his pockets again. He walked over to the food court and ordered an ice cream cone for her and then came back as soon as he got it. “Here. I hope you forgive her for her clumsy ways.” He smiled crouching down giving her the ice cream.

“Thank you.” She answered innocently and hugged him moving the ice cream away from him.

“Aww, my pleasure, but I think you should thank her, after all.” He confessed getting up coming to my side elbowing me.

“Thank you.” She repeated and did the same thing to me and went on with her ice cream licking the heck out of it and walked away.

“I love children.” I breathed in feeling the warmth of her hug and her smell of strawberry sweep away from my nose.

“Really, I thought you would hate them.” He admitted.

“No, my friend, I love them. Though, they can be a pain.” I confessed walking forward to see  what else is here in this wonderland.

“Alright, I can see you’re pretty bored." He answered. "How about we go and ride the rollercoaster?”

"Are you crazy, I can’t ride that!” I argued.

“Don’t you keep promises?” He asked.

“Yea.”

“Then let’s go.” He answered grabbing my arm and ran to the corner of where the rollercoaster was.

“Hector, no!” I shouted pushing away and getting out of his grip. “I’m scared of rollercoaster’s!”

“C’mon, I’ll hold you, seductively.” He teased motioning my body to his chest which eased the cold that I felt. “I promise.” He whispered teasing in my ear.

“Hector, please. Shut up, i'm serious.” I pleaded while my hands were giving me a cramp. I had no chance, but to put my hands around his waist which made me feel uncomfortable. “How can I be sure of this?”

“Trust me.” He reassured. “Just let me show you.”

“Are you sure about this?” I asked unsure because automatically if he was unsure, I would feel terrified than I already am. He nodded. I stepped back feeling him trying to get out of the embrace. He took my hand this time and rushed me to the line. There were about twenty people waiting for the doom that I will soon enter.

He bumped me and teased, “Are you scared?”

“Shut up, you know I can turn around, right?” I answered knowing that’s not what I wanted because I wanted to see if he can keep the promise that he would protect me which was very cliché, but what can you except from a guitarist/songwriter? I looked back there was no chance because there was a messy huddle behind us. “Ugh.” I sighed.

“Do you really want to go through those people?” He taunted bending down whispering in my ear.

“I have no choice, but to stay right?” I replied.

“Exactly.” He answered.

“Why’d you take me here?” I insisted.

“I wanted you to take your mind off of your mother.” He answered getting a hold of my hand which made me blush. It felt warm and moisturized. We moved up.

“Yea and how is that working out for you?” I asked annoyed feeling like I was his charity case.

“It’s going pretty well, don’t you think?”

“I suppose,” I answered biting my lip,” Why do you care?”

“Why do I care?” He repeated. “Why shouldn’t I?”

“I don’t know probably because you never talked to me unless when you asked for the homework or where Sophie was.” I snapped.

“Oh,” He frowned, “Did I do that?”

“Don’t get me wrong, you made me laugh when we were kids, but eventually you started to be Caroline’s boyfriend and everything just became distant.” I confessed remembering the old times we used to share.

“I’m sorry.” He coughed leaving the air whoosh as if he was smoking.

“It’s the past, right?” I answered. “Why not leave it there.” I walked forward and I didn’t even know that I entered the rollercoaster until I crashed into the seat. My face burned up from the embarrassment from the people that were laughing which were the ones that were getting off and the ones that were in the line. I tried to find Hector. He glared at me and rushed towards me and held my chin.

“Are you okay?” He volunteered motioning me close to his chest.

“I’m alright!” I shouted angrily now feeling a rush in me feeling that I was hopeless and annoyed that he always has to come and comfort me. I didn’t like the feeling that I was under his microscope.

“I’m sorry.” He began.

“It’s alright.” I growled. I motioned back in my seat leaning back while the conductor put the seat belt on us. Have a safe ride was the last thing, I heard from the guy. I felt tears coming down. I heard Hector motioning his body to look at me, but I censored him off. “I’m alright, I promise.” I assured him smiling looking for his hand that laid next to my lap. I was holding it tightly when we fell down in the gust of wind which blew through my nose and my hair. When will I soon go downhill? I thought to myself ignoring that I was squeezing his hand, now.