Edward imagine

The prompts are: "You are the first thing on my mind, the last thought before sleep, and my truest love", "I told you not to fall in love with me", "I know now, we can never let each other go", kiss prompts 49: Kissing tears from the other's face, and 32: A kiss so passionate, so perfect - that after they part, neither person can open their eyes for a few moments afterwards.

Warnings: heartbreak

As a daughter of a nobleman you were expected to marry well.
It was how the world worked, as a woman you were basically sold to the highest bidder.
You had grown up with that expectation and though you hated it there was nothing you could have done about it.
So you accepted your fate, until a certain young man came along that made it his mission to change your mind, and to win your heart.
You had met Edward in Winchester when your father had taken you with him to introduce his daughter to life at court, you had immediately been attracted to him.
You had both been quite young but of marital age, but since neither of you had been betrothed as of yet you decided to lead a secret relationship.
You met up frequently and your relationship grew from mere attraction to an all encompassing love, so much so that if you entered a room neither of you could take your eyes off of each other.
Nevertheless you had sworn that you would not fall in love, it had been your hope because you both knew that you would ultimately have to marry someone else.
You were originally from Aegelesburg so when your father had to leave court so had you, but as soon as your father told you he'd go back you were begging him to take you along.
To your luck he did so, and Edward and you couldn't take your eyes off of each other.
Neither could you keep your hands to yourselves and it didn't take long until you found yourselves in the abandoned room you used to meet in, hugging and kissing passionately.
"I missed you", you said softly and Edward smiled as he set his hands on the sides of your face to peck your lips.
"I love you", he answered and you shook your head, but kept standing close to him.
"Don't...", you said softly and he nodded.
"I know you told me not to say it. But it's true", he whispered and you shook your head again.
You hadn't seen each other for months and you had hoped that he had moved on from you, for the sakes of the both of you.
"I can't keep it to myself anymore", he answered as he let go of you frustratedly.
"You are the first thing on my mind, the last thought before sleep, and my truest love", he told you and you again shook your head.
"That's ridiculous, and you know it", you answered him and the hurt look on his face cut deeper than any insult would have ever had the power.
"We haven't seen each other in forever. You're just attracted to me, that is all", you tried to dismiss it but he shook his head, anger rising in his cloudy eyes.
You had begged your father to take you with him to Winchester, in hopes to see Edward again, but just to say goodbye.
"I know you're in love with me too", he said softly and you didn't answer him at all.
"I told you not to fall in love with me", you whispered back and he shook his head.
"What did you expect me to do? Have a secret relationship with you and not fall for you?", he asked you, the anger he tried to suppress audible in his voice.
"Please, Edward. You knew that we could never marry", you pleaded, biting your lip.
You were feeling too many emotions, anger, sadness, desperation...
"Why not? I'm the aetheling. I can just command it, or we could marry right now...", he began but you shook your head.
"I am to be married", you said and all the emotions left Edward's face at once as he stared at you blankly.
It was silent before you found your voice again, and the courage to speak.
"He's a respectable ealdorman back in Aegelesburg. I'm neither rich nor important enough to be an acceptable match for you", you tried to stay rational, but it was hard on you.
"So this meant nothing to you?", Edward pressed out and you felt a shiver run down your spine at how angry and hurt he was.
"That's not... that's not what I'm saying. This can't happen again. We can't be together, not anymore", you whispered and he chuckled sarcastically.
"Were we ever?", he asked and you tried your best not to let the tears in your eyes slip.
Edward watched you, his anger vanishing as he saw how hurt you were, a gentle look made its way onto his face instead.
"Look at you", he said, softer this time.
"You can't marry this man you don't even know. It's not fair to you, or me", he said and you shook your head as you let some tears fall.
"You love me. And I you", you heard Edward again and you tried to trun away from him, but he stopped you, catching your chin gently with his fingertips.
"Please", he whispered, and before you could actually turn away he talked again.
"I didn't think it would come to this. This morning even though I knew you'd be coming I never felt so strongly about you, but...", he said softly as he caught your eyes again.
"I know so much more now than this morning. I know that I love you, more than I have ever loved anyone. And I... I know now, we can never let each other go", he said and you shook your head vehemently as you cried, not looking at him even though he still gently held onto you.
"Please...", he whispered as he slowly leaned in.
You felt his lips press against your cheek, first one then the other as he gently collected the tears you had shed.
You stopped crying after a while and he just held you, his face still awfully close to yours, tempting you to lean in again.
When you finally looked up again you saw him watching you, the glimpse of hope in the back of the depth of his eyes.
You leaned in simultaneously, brushing your lips against each other's before you deepened the kiss.
You had kissed him often, but you had never shared so much emotion, so much in the simple locking of lips.
When your lips finally seperated you set a hand on his cheek, leaning your forehead against his as you breathed deeply through your still parted lips.
You didn't open your eyes for some time afterwards, because you didn't want to be faced with reality.
"Goodbye, my love", you whispered against his lips as you finally opened your eyes.
You saw the realization settle in Edward's eyes as you stepped away from him.
He tried to catch your hands in his but you pulled away quickly enough.
You had just enough strength to walk outside of the room, closing the door behind you before you broke down crying.
Even though most of Wessex and Mercia were present at your wedding a few months later the aetheling Edward did not show.