よんじゅうきゅう

photograph - offonoff

wonwoo's head rose up and down as he rested it on mingyu's chest, following the same rhythmical pace. seconds, minutes and even hours passed of mingyu staring up at the dark ceiling, his thoughts wandering off a little too often.

perhaps it was wonwoo inside his arms who made him stay awake, as their nearly bare bodies were pressed up against each other in an oddly comfortable position. maybe it was his warm scent, that gave mingyu a sense of safety. yet mingyu knew, those weren't any of the reasons of his worries.

mingyu knew that if he kept on going with his careless way of living and doing things, their relationship would fail in less than a week. he'd always thought he could keep up the act, but seeing wonwoo as his vulnerable self brought up a side of mingyu he didn't even recognize himself. he couldn't help but to become one soft puddle when it came to the curly head.

tears brimmed in the corners of his eyes as he let one free, ignoring the wet sensation that rolled down his cheek. he didn't want to move his arm up nor wipe it off at the pillowcase, assuming that the slightest movement would wake wonwoo up. but wasn't that what he wanted?

wonwoo's deep voice was probably the only thing that would be able to make him go to sleep. yet mingyu being the coward he is, didn't  dare to move a single muscle in his body as he silently started sobbing, trying to remain his steady breathing pattern for wonwoo to stay asleep.

and for a while, it was the only thing he did; letting tears wet his cheeks as he tried to forget about all the worries that clouded his mind. the dark ceiling managed to give him somewhat reassurance, the feeling of safety growing even bigger when he took a deep breath through his nose and coincidentally took in the scent that lingered on wonwoo's hair.

unconsciously, he shifted his hand to wonwoo's head as he twirled the silky soft strands between his fingers and started massaging the scalp, moving a slight bit down to bury his nose in the soft substance as well.

"mhm.. gyu.." wonwoo sighed, pushing himself a little higher up mingyu's chest to get more fingers attached to his scalp, finding the massaging touch quite addicting.

"i-i'm sorry, did i wake you up?" mingyu apologized, being the big softie he is. he melted on how raspy yet confused wonwoo's voice sounded in the middle of the night and he couldn't do anything else but to adore it. quickly he pulled back his hand to see if the said boy was actually awake. "no..no.. go on.."

wonwoo groaned in annoyance when the emptiness wasn't immediately replaced by the hands that worked magic and moved his head up to face mingyu. the stroke of moonlight that peeked through the curtains fell directly on their bed, illuminating the stray tears that stained mingyu's cheeks.

just the sight of that had wonwoo wide awake in just a brief second, making him prop himself up on his elbows as he leaned over mingyu's face to check if it wasn't just an illusion. "hey, what's wrong? are you.. crying?" wonwoo was careful to ask, dropping his body next to mingyu as the taller boy turned on his side as well to face him.

"there's nothing wrong wonwon, you should go back to sleep." mingyu brushed off, flashing a small smile so wonwoo would hopefully ask no further questions. though he was dying to remain at least a conversation.

"we can cuddle, if you want?" wonwoo proposed as he'd learnt a lot about comforting people through the past week, making mingyu nod in agreement. "come here." the puppy-like guy opened his arms for wonwoo to fall back, but instead, nothing happened, making him eye up to the curly-head again.

"no i mean, how about i cuddle you?" wonwoo said again, making it clear for mingyu what exactly he meant. and this time, a small yet honest smile made its way to mingyu's lips, as the boy allowed himself to be taken into wonwoo's arms.

he snuggled his nose in wonwoo's bare chest as he held a gentle grip on him, feeling how wonwoo wrapped him up in the blanket and swung his arms around his back. "you caught onto this whole cuddling thing pretty soon, didn't you?" mingyu chuckled, feeling the grip around him tighten a little bit.

"i could say i learned it from the best." wonwoo replied, taking the chance to press a gentle kiss against mingyu's temple. "now, what's going on? do you want to talk about it?"

mingyu sniffled, feeling how a lump started rising in his throat again. yet still he remained strong, feeling the sudden need to keep his tough image in front of wonwoo no matter how weak he felt when it came to the boy who held him so dearly. "it's just weird." mingyu covered up a sob by forcing out a giggle, which only resulted in more tears brimming in his eyes.

"and you know what, i love weird. isn't that why you're my boyfriend?" even in the gloomy atmosphere that circulated through the room, they both chuckled peacefully. "you're totally safe with me and there's nothing to be afraid of."

mingyu took a deep breath before he continued. "i guess i'm just.. really happy with you." he spoke truthfully, the lump in his throat finally fading away when he noticed how wonwoo's heartbeat sped up.

"shouldn't i be the one saying that?" wonwoo asked in return, resulting in mingyu letting out a cynical chuckle.

"please get that perfectly painted picture you have of me out of your head. i'm not as flawless as you might think. we talked about that before." wonwoo moved in once again and placed a soft kiss on mingyu's forehead this time, tracing patterns all over the muscles in mingyu's back. "i'm just saying that i haven't felt like this in forever, and i just really don't want to lose you."

"why would you lose me? we've been together for only one day, that's something you shouldn't fear of right now. i don't have any good reasons to leave you, right?" wonwoo reassured mingyu, who slowly started drifting off.

"but maybe later you do." mingyu whispered before finally managing to fall asleep, wonwoo noticing once gentle snores were audible.

"i won't leave you gyu." wonwoo whispered before pressing a final kiss against his exposed forehead, falling asleep as well. "goodnight silly."

perhaps wonwoo should've caught onto the clue that was given. he should've caught some sense of suspicion in mingyu's words.

perhaps it wouldn't have hurt so much later on..