にじゅう

"it surprises me that i've never actually seen you around at school. you would assume i would have noticed you right away!" mingyu spoke proudly, his arms moving enthusiastically along on every statement he made.

they had decided to actually take a walk over the beach, right next to the coast, avoiding the waves that crashed down every now and then so their shoes wouldn't get wet. there was no one to be seen around at this time beside the two boys, shoulders bumping against each other from time to time.

wonwoo didn't expect he would enjoy mingyu's company this much and he wasn't planning on going back to his bungalow any time sooner. he noticed mingyu was also still wide awake and determined to spend more time in the peaceful atmosphere of the beach. even when it was already far past one am.

wonwoo had learned that mingyu was the exact opposite of the reputation he had built up in school. mingyu didn't explain a further reason and wonwoo guessed he would tell him later on, leaving the unspoken subject for what it was.

"you? notice me? very funny." wonwoo deadpanned, sarcastically rolling his eyes as he continued walking.

"i'm serious! you heard junhui screaming that certain thing about seungcheol's instagram post yourself." mingyu exposed himself yet again, just like junhui and a little later on seokmin had done, "give me one good reason why i shouldn't notice you when i see you walking around in our hallway."

"because i'm just me. come on, how would you notice me." wonwoo put an emphasis on the words 'you' and 'me', making mingyu cock his brow and look at wonwoo unbelievingly.

"just because basically everyone around our school knows who i am doesn't mean i wouldn't notice you."

"mingyu, please get a mirror and look at yourself. you can't compare me to someone like you."

mingyu decided to take a turn and walked a little back onto the beach. when the sand underneath their feet was entirely dry again, mingyu plopped down, patting the spot next to him. "why do you always put yourself down like that? you shouldn't be so harsh to yourself."

when wonwoo took a seat in the sand beside mingyu, he gulped. he didn't expect mingyu to catch up on it so soon and he was absolutely not prepared for an answer. "i don't? i just told you the truth." wonwoo replied, not able to make it any better.

"what truth? because all i see is a very good looking guy. and no-" mingyu shushed him when wonwoo tried to interrupt "you can't change my mind. i told you my opinion and if you're going to reply on that with a negative comment about yourself i'm leaving right now."

wonwoo remained silent, being too utterly flustered to reply on mingyu's words. and beside that, he didn't want mingyu to leave already.

"you know what you need?" mingyu said out of sudden, making wonwoo give him a doubtful glare.

"no?"

"you need some warmth!" mingyu stated, unexpectedly opening his arms wide, gesturing for wonwoo to lean against his chest.

wonwoo's cheeks flushed bright red on his motion, making him quickly avert his gaze to the sea in front of them again and ignoring mingyu's offer. "i'm fine mingyu. let it be." he muttered.

even when mingyu's warm body looked pretty alluring, he resisted bluntly falling inside his arms, scared for the consequences. because wonwoo was well aware that the closer they got, the more questioning and confusing feelings would get involved.

however, mingyu wasn't one to give up easily, which wonwoo already caught up on. so out of sudden, he felt both mingyu's arms sneaking their way around his shoulders, pulling wonwoo a bit closer to his body.

"god you're so tense. loosen up a bit, i'm just giving you a hug. i'm not trying to hurt you." mingyu chuckled about wonwoo's flustered state, although he could only see the side of his head as he awkwardly held onto him.

but wonwoo couldn't help it. "i'm sorry.. i'm not used to hugs." he admitted "my friends hug me every now and then, but that's just a quick hug to say goodbye most of the times. i haven't exactly been with someone like this before."

"oh wonwoo.. you're missing out on something." mingyu said, managing to pull wonwoo even closer to him, "i love hugs, or cuddles or anything that includes physical touch, but i barely receive anything related to that. i guess i'm not as huggable as i want to be."

mingyu's words made wonwoo a bit sad somehow. mingyu was trying so hard to make him comfortable, and all he does is giving him the cold shoulder and making it hard to start an actual conversation. guilt rose up in his chest when mingyu showed a vulnerable side of himself by clinging onto wonwoo, talking about how much he liked physical touch.

but how no one ever gave it to him.

and so he turned his head to mingyu, who pulled back his arms a bit when he saw wonwoo's piercing gaze. scared he might feel uncomfortable with this sudden hug.

"i'm sor-" "-is there a.. specific way i should hold you? how do you even call this? cuddling? just a hug?" wonwoo asked for instructions, finally breaking loose from his awkwardly silent persona.

mingyu's entire expression lit up when he realized wonwoo wanted to return the hug. maybe he got a little too excited as he threw his arms back around wonwoo's neck and pulled his face into his own nape, making them lose their balance and tumble back into the sand.

however both didn't bother to get up, as mingyu kept holding wonwoo in his arms, both their obnoxiously loud heartbeats uniting into one.

and to wonwoo's surprise, there was no judgement about his inexperience. even his question for instructions was taken serious. "since i'm taking lead in the position right now it's most likely for you to lay and arm around my waist. if you want i can also lay on my back so you can rest your head on my chest. and if you're uncomfortable with that i can also sit straight and just rest my head on your shoulder." he explained with care.

wonwoo, who lay on his side pulled up against mingyu's body at the same height as the taller's collarbone, decided to keep their current position, carefully sneaking an arm around mingyu's waist.

and when mingyu inhaled the utterly safe scent that lingered on wonwoo's body, he realized he was in a bigger need for him than for cigarettes.