02 » drunken intuitions

"You only live once. But if you do it right, once is enough."

⋆ • ⊱◦ ☾✩☽ ◦⊰ • ⋆

⋆ • ⊱◦ ☾✩☽ ◦⊰ • ⋆

"You still smoke, don't you?" Jaehyun chortled as the girl in front of him side-eyed him, inhaling the intoxicating smell the burnt cigarette gave away.
"You should stop doing that, you know. It affects me—" He abruptly stepped back as he let out a series of coughs.

Her eyebrows jumped up worryingly, as she let the stick slide out of her fingers, down onto the ground. She stepped on the lit cigarette with her heels crushing it.

"I'm sorry," She mumbled, "It helps me mentally. Afterall, it has become a habit I cannot get rid of."

Jaehyun patted his chest softly, clearing his throat, "We have a lot in common," He said, recalling the incident which took place the same evening with his girlfriend, as a wave of guilt gushed upon him for his pathetic behaviour.

He lent out his hand, "Give it to me, Ms. Seo."

The girl, Ms. Seo, looked at him unfazed as a subtle smile took over her lips. She dug her hand into her handbag, taking out the small white cigarette box as she handed it over to Jaehyun.

He smiled before tossing the box into his coat pocket, recalling his girlfriend's words, "Bad habits need to be changed."

⤜ ⬪ ⋄ ⬪ ⤛

'I'm sorry, Areum'

I replayed the audio recording on loop, sniffling into my blanket as Jaehyun's melodic voice echoed in the room, those three words filling up my mind.

I got up groggily, removing the duvet off myself. I poured myself coffee while texting Jaehyun to meet up.

⤜ ⬪ ⋄ ⬪ ⤛

"Areum?" Juyeon gaped at me gulping down my fifth shot, my mouth drawn in an uneven, squiggly line as the bitter taste dawned upon me. "Are you nuts? You had an argument about drinking wine just yesterd—"

"Not about drinking wine. It was about drinking too much wine." I slurred as I nagged Sunoo to pour some more.

"And this is your—?"

"Fifth." I smiled drunkenly as I held the cup I was handed.

"Sixth." Sunoo corrected grimly making Juyeon clench his jaw as he snatched the glass from me, making some of the liquid drip and soak into my dress material in the process.

"Hey—"

"Shut up, Areum. Tell me, what is wrong with you? Did Jaehyun break up—"

"My heart? Break my heart? That's quite right." I chirped brightly. Alcohol sure knew how to fuck up my conscience.

"What do you mean?" Juyeon asked lowly, clocking his neck as if he was ready to fight, while Sunoo had his ears perked up at the conversation as he coated the shot glass with lime, determined not leave any inch of it whining.

"I think— I feel like he is cheating on me." I said as I felt my throat tighten, my nose growing thicker by the second.

"What—" Juyeon yelled, thunderstruck at the odds. He was definitely not expecting that to come out from my mouth.

"Keep your voice low, man." A near-by guy hushed Juyeon, who quickly bowed an apology.

"He's cheating? Not possible! What even makes you say that?" He whispered-yelled, running his fingers through his black locks as Sunoo leaned forward to hear us over the loud booming music, his arm hitting a nearby glass in the process.

"What the fuck—" The same guy yelled as the tequila poured out from the glass, onto his pants.

"Shit," Sunoo cursed under his breath as he scurried away to bring a duster.

I smiled sadly as I removed a small packet from my bag.

"You smoke?" Juyeon's eyes widened as he snatched the white box from my hands, examining it.

"I don't. Jaehyun does, I found it in his coat today."

"But he never smokes.." Juyeon muttered as he looked at me with an uncertain expression.

"My point exactly." I said as I snatched the small packet back from his unnaturally strong grip, tucking it inside my bag.

"But that doesn't mean he is cheating on you," Juyeon ridiculed as he leaned onto the counter with furrowed eyebrows, watching Sunoo vigorously wipe the counter clean, "Look Areum, you're mad drunk right now, push aside these false intuitions of yours for god's sake."

I gulped as I looked away, not wanting to tell my best friend the other validations I had, "They're not all false.."

With furrowed eyebrows, Juyeon fell quiet, "Areum," He muttered as he kept his hand over my shaky ones, "You know you can tell me everything." He gave me a light-tipped smile. Of course I could tell him everything, my each secret was confined safely with this man in front of me, but it was embarrassment which was preventing me from speaking.

"He's—" I gulped, "Last night— He was acting different." I said, unable to form proper sentence.

"What?"

"He's moving different," I mumbled while shaking my legs out of nervousness, "When we— When we make love."

"What—"

"You heard me, Ju." I sighed as I averted my gaze from him, my face burning hot.

Juyeon chewed on his lip, possibly thinking of the counters he could come up to my statement. Unfortunately, he really couldn't find a proper explanation from Jaehyun's side. He never really liked that guy anyway, and just thinking about someone cheating on Areum was enough to boil Juyeon's blood.

"He even comes home late. He's changed, Juyeon." I said, shuddering out a sigh.

"Areum," Sunoo interrupted while hastily sliding the box of tissues towards me, "You're just overthinking. Give the man some time." He rolled his eyes.

"That's right, maybe you are overthinking. It happens, you know. Couples fight, and days later they make up. Happy ever after." Juyeon said, agreeing with Sunoo, a wide grin painting his face. Oh how I wished it was done as easily as it was said.

"My life is not a fairytale, Juyeon." I rolled my eyes as I hopped down from my chair, "And yeah, maybe I should just wait for some time before making a conclusion. Thanks." I said, before swinging my bag over my shoulder and making my way out.

"Hey," Heeseung grinned as I bumped into him, "I just came. Where are you going?" He asked as I dodged him, "Hey—"

"Not in the mood tonight, sorry Heeseung!" I said aloud before leaving the bar and the confused Heeseung behind.

Not like he cared anyways, all he came here for was to get himself a stand for the night.

Hoeseung, yeah.