35 » one last time

"I know we said goodbye, but I didn't know it was forever."

⋆ • ⊱◦ ☾✩☽ ◦⊰ • ⋆

⋆ • ⊱◦ ☾✩☽ ◦⊰ • ⋆

My confused gaze wandered from a mildly annoyed-looking Jaehyun to my over-depressed mom. She looked the saddest she had ever been, and it took all my guts to not roll my eyes at her dramatic expression.

"Ah my daughter!" Her obnoxiously loud voice called me out, as she hopped off the stool she was seated on, "Why didn't you inform me about all this? You were going through such hard times and you didn't let me know a thing?" She frowned, placing both her jewellery studded hands on either side of my face.

"I did give you a call—" I gritted, closing my eyes briefly. I always hated her fake concern.

"You did?" She frowned slightly, retracting her arms, "I'm sorry, I might've missed it." She murmured lowly, her gaze finding itself landing on Jaehyun, "But atleast you should've called me once to inform me about your condition, son. Who would call me if not my lovely daughter's boyfriend?"

No wonder he looked irritated.

"Mom," I gritted my teeth at the term 'boyfriend', she was making things more complicated than they already were, "Why did you come here?"

She scoffed in offence, "Can I not come to visit my daughter and see what she's upto?" No. "I went to your apartment only to know you were here." She shook her head as she sighed.

"Where's dad?"

"Oh? He got caught up in some work."
Of course.

"Son," The door to the ward swung open, revealing a distressed Mr. Wu, "Oh Areum? Mrs. Byun? When did you arrive?" He asked, genuinely shocked. He was holding a file, presumably Jaehyun's reports and discharge papers.

"Just a few minutes ago," Mom smiled warmly at the man, "Where were you all this while?"

"I went to take Jaehyun's discharge papers," He tightened his lips, patting his son's hand, "He can leave in a few hours after a couple of tests have been run through." He smiled warmly at the patient, while on the other hand, Jaehyun found my necklace very attractive, his eyes set over at my neck.

My hand almost immediately darted up to the jewel, as I unconsciously tucked it inside my top, making Jaehyun snap his eyes right at mine. I gulped. I was wearing Sunghoon's necklace. I mentally face-palmed, having forgotten to remove it before coming here.

Mom seemed to have noticed the tension between the two young people, as she smiled, "Say Mr. Wu, how about we have some tea together? It's been quite long since our last encounter." She let out a light laugh. The man looked at his son for a moment before he eventually agreed.

"His mother is at the cafeteria too, let's go." Mr. Wu smiled, beckoning my mom to leave first.

The two elders eventually left for the cafeteria, they probably had a lot to catch up on.

The tension in the room was quite thick, too thick for a knife to penetrate through. Jaehyun sighed, first to break the wall of awkwardness, "I'm sorry for being a dick earlier. My brain is just so fucked up right now, I myself don't know what I'm doing with my life." He looked outside of the window dejectedly, a small frown on his face as his fingers subconsciously played with the delicate threads of the blanket.

I took in a deep breath, walking towards his bed, "It's alright, Jaejae—" I halted immediately, gulping as Jaehyun's head immediately darted in my direction, "I'm sorry, I just—"

He smiled, "It would take some time to get used to, don't worry too much." He abruptly outstretched his hand, his fingers brushing the necklace which was half-tucked inside my top, "Seeing this, I have a feeling it wouldn't take a lot of time for you." He chuckled dryly.

Even though his voice was filled with blue, Jaehyun looked like he was regretting his actions, but he also looked mildly pleased with the events. Did he give up already? Wasn't I someone worth fighting for?

I clenched my teeth, releasing a low breath, "Is this it?" I voiced out, "Are we over now? Just like that? Two years worth of happiness, are you going to dump them down just like that?" I bit my lip, not wanting to waver in my conscience. Not in front of the person who was the reason of those sad memories.

"I have to." He reasoned out, shrugging as if it wasn't a big of a deal, but the pain in his voice was telling another story, "Today or tomorrow, we had to end it eventually. Choosing it to be today was a mere attempt to lessen your pain, Areum. Tomorrow it'll hurt a bit more."

There was a long pause, the knot in my throat too large to let a word break through. I looked down at my palms, fiddling with my fingers, "So now? What does the future hold for us?"

"Darkness for me. Another set of happy memories for you," He crinkled his eyes in a sad smile, "Atleast I'll know you won't be alone." He snorted, flicking lightly at the necklace. He could see how my jaw was set tight, the veins in my neck visibly shaking. As if he was testing my bandwidth of patience.

Not being able to contain the emotions within me to myself, I lunged forward to take the man in a hug. The smile on his face was persistent as he wrapped his arms around my torso, a wave of contentment flooding throughout his system having his love in his arms. One last time.

"Why are you so selfless?" I cried, lightly hitting his back as I felt a laugh bubble out of him, his chest sending vibrations throughout my being, "Couldn't you just let everything be as it was? Why did you do this— Acting like a superhero and shit?"

"Do you really think I could kiss you knowing you are my best friend's first and only love? That he loved you from way before I knew you? Knowing that I wouldn't be the one who would accompany you till the end, that I will have to leave way before things could even start for us?" He asked, swaying our bodies a little in an attempt to maintain to calm atmosphere.

I fell silent, hearing to his worries and concerns. This man was too good to be a human, and no one this kind at heart deserved going through such hard times.

I pulled away from him, placing both my hands on his shoulders, as his hands crept up to my face, wiping away the tears gently, "Don't cry, gorgeous. Never cry about me leaving your side, you've always got better people deserving of your love." He was hesitant at first, but not thinking much of it, he leaned forward, placing a peck on my forehead.

"Don't worry, don't stress yourself. It's not good for your health. Everything will be the way you want, I promise." I lent forward my pinky, motioning him to lock his own with mine.

Jaehyun grinned, his eyes glistening for the first time. Finally he would be at peace, knowing she had forgiven him. That she didn't hate him for what he did, but instead she understood the meaning behind his actions. She understood his pain, she shared it with him. He sighed in happiness before locking his little finger with mine.

"Let's be happy, Areum."

He didn't know, but those words meant more than the expectation. They let on more than their capabilities.
Things were going to be tough for everyone from now on. Life definitely brings the most unexpected challenges for us, and look where it got me. But we will try, try to move on. For me, for Jaehyun, for Sunghoon.

INTUITION | 𝐏𝐒𝐇 ✓On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara