24 » a night together

"You hurt me so bad that pain lost it's meaning."

⋆ • ⊱◦ ☾✩☽ ◦⊰ • ⋆

⋆ • ⊱◦ ☾✩☽ ◦⊰ • ⋆

Sunghoon's calm breathing was the only thing keeping me sane as we sat on the couch beside each other. I didn't even realise how we ended up like this, but it came to me as a surprise finding the fact that I actually enjoyed it.

It had started raining outside soon enough, creating a calm atmosphere around us. The window, which was open, gave entrance to cool air and sounds of the pounding rain outside.

It made the room dull, matching along my mood, but I welcomed it with open arms, embracing the refreshing breeze.

Sunghoon's hand was running through the locks of my messy hair, soothing my scalp as I rested my head beside his shoulder. My eyelashes were still damp, cheeks stained with dry tears, reminding me of why I hated the act of crying.

His other hand lay limp on his thigh, as I watched his long fingers, adorned with countable, beautiful rings, twitch every once in a while.

"Areum," Sunghoon voiced out, immediately gathering up my all undivided attention towards him. The huskiness in his voice instantly prickled me, my brain starting to give me signals I didn't need at the point, "How did it happen?"

That was the first question that came from him. He didn't want me to tell him the what happened, he probably knew it anyways.

"I overhead him on phone with that Taehee." I mumbled out, my voice hoarse and damp, a stream of newly-formed tears preparing for their farewell. I loved Jaehyun, I really did.

His eyes drooped at the sight of Areum's teary eyes, he hated those tears. He hated anyone who caused her pain, but it was his best friend in this case. His heart was aching for her, and for him too.

Sunghoon found his eyes watering too. He felt so helpless, so shameful. He knew everything, he could fix everything but his selfishness and the stupidity of his past was stopping him.

His conversation with Jaehyun the very evening was stopping him.

Nobody cared that Sunghoon didn't have a night shirt on, both were buried deep into sorrows of their own losses, dwelling for comfort in each other's embrace.

I gave Jaehyun everything I could, I did everything for him I could. All those 'I love you's and 'forever's were just temporary. It was true love from my side, but it was nothing but a joke to him.

He never loved me to begin with.

He used me for his fun.

A feeling of disgust and disappointment took its birth within myself at my unnecessary thoughts. I knew I was overthinking, but wasn't it right?

My sobs died down almost immediately after hearing to Sunghoon hum an unfamiliar tune. His chest heaved in slow, regular beats as he hand caressed my back gently. The vibrations of his deep voice against my hair were soothing.

The tune was slow, but melodic. As if it was meant to be for this situation. For our situation. Sadness filled up the room, calm sorrow. The tune was familiar, I felt like I had heard to it before, but I couldn't put my finger on the occasion.

Sunghoon seemed to notice how her eyes started getting heavy by the moment, a small smile unconsciously tugging his lips.

He wanted to enjoy the moment, he could feel his heart swell up with love and affection for her. But he couldn't, the situation wouldn't allow him to.

He finally had Areum in his arms, but for different purpose. He always thought how Jaehyun could keep her happier than his sadistic-self ever could, but boy was he wrong.

She still didn't love him. She was still intoxicated by the warmth of Jaehyun's love, something Sunghoon thought he could never provide her.

Or maybe she was just too naïve of her own feelings.

⤜ ⬪ ⋄ ⬪ ⤛

My eyes felt bloated once I opened them. I looked around to see the dimly lit room. I was still in hall, it was morning, but it was raining.
I didn't mind the gloomy weather, I embraced it. It kept me company, unlike the taunting sun-rays which just reminded me of how my life was a mess.

What came to me as a surprise was that I had ended up sleeping on the couch. Of course, I wasn't alone.

Slow snores vibrated against my neck, my frail body being practically crushed down on the couch. I had the feeling that if it wasn't for his unnaturally tight grip around my tummy, I would've fallen down, off the couch.

I flinched slightly as I heard a loud thunderstorm, the rain threatening to pour down harder than ever. I tried to shake off Sunghoon's hand off my torso, but it only seemed to tighten itself by the minute.

He large hand was clutching the material of my hoodie, his face nuzzled into the same pillow as mine, right beside my own face. I lifted my head slightly, only to see his one leg wrapped my two relatively smaller ones. 

The fact that he was shirtless wasn't helping at all.

His deep slumber told me that he hadn't taken a proper nap in a few days, and I wondered why. As if my thoughts were loud enough for him to hear, a low groan erupted from his mouth.

The vibration against my neck sent chills down my spine, as he shifted his weight off my legs. His eyes shot wide open as realisation dawned upon him about what position he was in. I felt his fingers instantly let go of my hoodie fabric as he got up, his eyes locked with mine.

"I— I'm sorry," He stuttered out, his voice coming out hoarse. His voice had a magic of making the simplest form of speech sound hot.

I blinked twice, before giving him a light smile, "It's alright." As long as he slept comfortably.

A sigh of relief erupted from his system as he sleepily rubbed his eyes, trying to wash away the drowsiness.

A ping from my phone instantly caught both of our attentions. I stood up straight, before fetching for the phone from the coffee table.

Sunghoon leaned in to have a look when he realised that I had frozen, staring blankly at the screen.

27 texts and 11 missed calls from Jaehyun.