36 » finally free

"Your eyes. Your eyes hold everything my soul thirsts for."

⋆ • ⊱◦ ☾✩☽ ◦⊰ • ⋆

⋆ • ⊱◦ ☾✩☽ ◦⊰ • ⋆

The door swung open behind us, as we turned around to see Taehee, an injection kit in her hands. Her expression was rather lost and unclear. She obviously had something on her mind, her eyes elsewhere as she removed the rubber gloves from the plastic bag in her hand.

I whipped around to face Jaehyun, maybe she came for a dose? I urged him to say something, lightly squeezing his palm. He looked at me for a split second before nodding shortly.

"Dr. Seo," He called her, as her head shot in his direction immediately upon his voice, "Did you see Sunghoon somewhere while coming here?" He asked with uncertainty, quite confused by her fazed and detonated gaze.

She shook her head quickly, bobbing a no, ripping open the injection packet, "He was last at the pharmacy I suppose," She mumbled.

I figured Jaehyun might have to take the dose, so I got up from the stool, "I'll be right back," I nodded at Jaehyun who simply smiled back. He was happy we had sought out stuff between us without much complications. I was glad too, it felt like a large part of my burden was lifted off my shoulders.

With one last glance around the room, I opened the door of the air conditioned ward to take my leave. Stepping outside, I gently closed the door behind me, letting out a ragged breath.

I couldn't believe I let it all out, I settled it all. It felt like a huge part of me wanted to rewind time and stop Jaehyun from even thinking about such a plan, I wanted us to be together until the last, but then a part of me was glad as well. We were leaving behind no regrets, no tangled relationships, no burdens... and too I got to know Sunghoon much better, a much more raw form of his.

But then the real question came, was it all worth it in exchange for Jaehyun's life? Nothing was in his favour, yet he gave his everything to me. For me, so I could lead a happy life without his presence. But what was he getting?

Byun Areum, life was never fair. Not to you, not to anyone else. I sighed, turning around to find Sunghoon's lone figure sitting on the bench in the lobby, his face buried deep in his arms.

I frowned as I made my way to beside him with silent feet, quietly sitting beside him.

"Sunghoon?" I asked, extending my hand forward to lend him a comforting touch. He sighed, looking down at my hand. He gulped, and the next second he had grasped it, bringing the lock to his lips, "What's wrong?" I asked again, watching him pepper my hand with light kisses.

He ran his tongue over his lips, his gaze not meeting mine even once. He looked so tensed, the skin on his forehead creased in a frown.

Releasing a breath, he looked right at me, drawing me in towards his glossy eyes. The icy look in them never failed to amuse me, the untold story in them becoming more intriguing with each glance. If only he would open up..