You're Important To Me [Part 1]- Draco Malfoy

Pairing: Draco Malfoy x Male! Reader
Warnings: Swearing
Fandom: Harry Potter

SUMMARY: After a night in the library with Draco, the two of you become close. So close, in fact, that you invite him to stay with you and your family during holiday break.

With how prideful Draco is about being a pureblood, you'd never expect him to have a soft spot for you, a muggle born wizard. You don't know it yet, but you could ruin him at the snap of your fingers. Just the sight of your smile could brighten his whole day and he detests anyone who dared to hurt you. Even rude professors.

Sitting alone in the library was normal for you lately and, of course, Draco had noticed the toll it was taking on you and your mindset towards magic.

"What are you doing here?" you don't mean to sound so surprised by him being there but you've never seen him venture anywhere near the library. That is, until today.

"Don't sound too surprised," he said flatly, trying to brush off the feeling that you didn't want him there. He would never admit it out loud but he was only there to help you. Draco simply refused to accept that he had a crush on a mudbl- on a muggle born wizard.

You turn back to reading the assignments due soon and without really thinking say, "well, you're not one to-"

"To what, (y/n)? Study?" Draco asks with a little too much defensiveness in his tone.

"I didn't- I just mean you're good at this stuff. It comes natural to you, I just didn't think you need to study." He most definitely picked up on the nerves plaguing your tone. And oh how quickly he switched his own tone from hostile to friendly bantering.

"That's not true at all," he shook his head, chuckling at the thought of magic coming natural to him "You're the one with the gift."

"Not in potions," you say glumly. If you had a dime for all the times you lost house points over screwing up a potion, you'd have like fifty cents. Which doesn't sound like a lot but it all happened in one semester.

Draco starts putting his things down at the table next to yours. "That's just because the professor is too harsh."

"Maybe you're just too nice," you say, meeting his gaze for the first time that night. As soon as the words leave your mouth, he turns away from you with an expression that you couldn't make out. Suddenly, organizing the books on his side of the table is much more intriguing than the conversation at hand.

"Oh fuck, I've made him uncomfortable." You could have been farther from the truth if you had instead thought, "he hates me." Because Draco wasn't wrong about the lighting being perfect, the dimness of the library hid the blush spreading across his cheeks and the tips of his ears perfectly.

"I didn't mean to upset you. I just- I'm sorry if I've made you uncomfortable," you rush through the words clumsily. Although you were kinda expecting some harsh remark, or a threat, all he does is shake his head slightly.

The library was empty and quiet, but you could barely hear what he's says. "No, no, no. It's not that." Nonetheless, you were grateful he wasn't upset.

"It's not what?"

Draco opens the book in front of him. "You haven't made me uncomfortable." His voice is soft, silvery.

"Oh, then what is it?"

"No one ever- no one's ever said that about me."

"Said what? That you're too nice?" He doesn't answer and an uncomfortable silence falls over the two of you; so, you continue. "Then they haven't been paying any attention." And with that, his attention back on you. Scooting the chair closer to his, you attempt to reassure him, "you can't form an opinion on someone based on the family they come from, especially their parents. We are not our parents or their mistakes."

He nods his head again. "Yeah, you're right. Would you like help? With potions, I mean."

"I'd love that. Thank you, Draco."

That night, you couldn't get to sleep due a head full of thoughts about the pretty boy with the very blond hair and the blue, blue eyes. Not very different from other nights though.

-

You and Draco have many more nights like the first, staying up all night for study sessions in the library. Really though, the "study sessions" are 75% talking until 3am and only 25% studying.

Admittedly, neither of you mind the long nights. The professors don't either. Probably due to him being a lot less harsh given the fact that every time he called a student a mudblood you would smack his shoulder, trying to put some sense in him. ("Hey! First of all, that's rude. Second, what does that say about me?")
Soon the rude comments and lowkey bullying subsided. And when he would get into trouble you'd intervene, even though you know he could get out of it himself, he just might throw a couple other students under the bus.

The more time you two spend together, the more he realizes that he isn't going to escape the feelings he tries so desperately to keep away. At this point, no one understands why he tries to hide it. Anyone with common sense could tell how much he adores you. Well, anyone but you.

Draco was deep in thought while walking to the dinning hall, trying to work out if he should tell you about his feelings. He doesn't know how you feel about him either, as he too is oblivious as hell.

"Draco!" you call from a few meters away, attempting to catch up with him, "curse him and his long legs!" He doesn't even notice when you half-ass jog all the way next to him. "Draco!" you practically yell while grabbing his waist.

"Oh fuck, (y/n)! You nearly killed me!" His eyes widen and you swear you've never heard his voice go so high. But you could feel only a little bad about scaring him because his expression is priceless. You didn't notice you were staring until you spot a blush creeping up his neck and that's when you realized that you still had a hand on his waist.

You couldn't hold back a laugh at how flustered he is. "Sorry, sorry! I just wanted to ask if you're going home for the holidays?"

"I'm not sure yet... my mother has yet to decide my fate," he tries to play it off as a joke but the words ring dry. You wrap an arm around his shoulders and he clears his throat.

Almost dragging him along, you continue walking with to the tables. "Well, listen, you know you're always welcome at the (y/l/n)'s if you don't go home."

"You really think your family wouldn't mind?"

"I know they wouldn't."

He takes a seat and pulls you down with him. "Aren't holidays, like, kinda important for your family?"

"Oh yeah, but don't worry, you don't have to bring anything," you say while loading your plate with various foods.

"But you- then why- why invite me if the holidays are a family thing?" he says as if he's waiting for a snide comment, he even lets out a nervous laugh.

"You cannot be that thick."

"Wh-" Draco tries to start but before he can come to a conclusion, you're already cutting him off.

"You are family, dummy. You're my best friend, which also means you're now part of my muggle family. Sorry to break it to you, pureblood." You reply, motioning for him to get food as well. "Although, after you meet them you might wanna drop me as a friend," as you finish speaking, you lean your head on his shoulder.

You just said all of it so casually, like you didn't just put the biggest band-aid on his heart.

Credits: greysandgreens on tumblr