Chapter 43

"You okay Chloe?" Ange asked.
"I can't get comfy, everything hurts." Chloe moaned.
"I know darling I know. Stoke services are in a few miles. I could do with the toilet anyway. There might be a hotel if you're struggling but its less than two and a half hours until we're home." Ange really felt for her daughter. Even without the rape she'd been pushed onto rocky ground and held down. She must be in a lot of pain. Even though Ange had tilted Chloe's seat right back and given her a load of pillows.
"What time is it?" Chloe asked
"About quater to five." Ange replied. She'd been driving most of the night. She was exhausted physically, mentally and emotionally .
Ange pulled in to the services. "I'm going to go to the toilets, are you coming?" Ange asked
"I've had a lot to drink." Chloe replied and followed her mother. She wasn't walking well. Limping. She was sore and exhausted. Traumatised. The service station was almost deserted a few lorry drivers but that was all. Ange passed Chloe a pad and the witch Hazel. "Put some of this on the pad, it's meant to help reduce inflammation and reduce the pain."

As they were washing their hands Ange turned to Chloe. "Are you bleeding?"
"A little."
"Okay, it should settle down in a few days"
Walking back to the car Chloe faltered. "Chloe" Ange asked putting her hands on Chloe's shoulders "I've got you darling, it's okay. I've got you." She sat Chloe down on a seat in the closed Costa. "Dizzy?" Ange asked and Chloe nodded. "When was the last time you ate?"
"Brunch, with Gran. Croissants. About 10"
"Okay. Chloe that's been 17 hours. I know you're nauseated but you need to eat something. You haven't eaten or slept in ages. Have a biscuit and then let's get you home."Ange said seriously and passed her a small plastic wrapped shortbread from her handbag. Chloe ate it. "Well done darling."

They drove home with the radio on. Ange needed it to keep her awake. Chloe continued staring out of the window. Moving her body trying to get comfortable.
"Mum."
"Yes Darling."
"When we get home will you ring the hospital in Glasgow. Find out what happened...to Evan."
"Of course. But whatever happens is not your fault. You acted in self defence." Ange tried to convince Chloe but Chloe just turned her head away.

"Let's get you into bed." Ange smiled and helped her daughter out of the car. They walked into Ange's bedroom and Chloe sat on the bed and Ange found a pair of Chloe's pyjamas and her little toy snow lamb. "Do you want a shower first?" Ange asked and Chloe shook her head. "Well I'm making you something to eat, what would you like?" Ange asked. "Nothing."
"Chloe, I'm making you something. A Sandwich? Cheese on toast? I think I have some beans in a cupboard somewhere."
"Plain toast." Chloe whispered.
"I'll make you tea. I think I have some almond milk. Is that okay?"
Chloe nodded in reply.
Ange made the toast and tea. She checked her phone and had a text from Lorraine.
Evan is out of surgery but still unconscious. A stable but critical condition. Police are with him and if he wakes he will be under arrest. You, fletch and Chloe statements are enough along with the rape kit. They found his DNA on Chloe's swabs showing they had intercourse and the cuts, bruises, swelling ect she sustained are enough to imply that it wasn't consensual. If he wakes there will be a trial. Let me know when you and Chloe are home safe. Lorraine
Ange texted Lorraine and Fletch to let them know that they were home safe.
She brought the food and tea up to Chloe. She'd made some for herself too.
"Darling, listen, Lorraine has texted me. She says Evan is in a stable but critical condition."
"That's bullshit." Chloe replied, "you know as well as I do that's doctor BS for he might die or might not. It's 50/50." Chloe was angry gesticulating wildly. This was the first real emotion Ange had heard from Chloe since the attack. Perhaps it wasn't such a bad thing. "I know love, I know. It's okay to be angry. I can ring the hospital if you want but they most likely won't be able to tell me anything as we're not next of kin. But listen. The police are with him and will arrest him if he wakes up. The statement you gave as well as mine and Fletch plus the forensic evidence are enough for them to do that. He can't hurt you anymore, he can't hurt you." Ange looked at her daughter who had taken a few deep breaths to calm herself down. She looked at her mother with deep pain in her eyes "He's already done enough. At least if he'd killed me I might be at peace. Having this in my brain...it's too hard." The raw emotion in her daughters voice broke Ange's heart. "Chloe no, oh darling, please don't say that, please don't say that. It will get better. I promise. Give it time. I've been there remember and I'm proof that it gets better. You just need to rest baby, you know Gran always says things look better when the sun is up." Chloe glanced at the closed curtains but could see the light behind them "I think it already is." She looked at her mother who leaned forward and planted a gentle kiss on her forehead. "Shall I sleep here with you? Or you can have my bed to yourself and I'll sleep in the spare room?" Ange asked Chloe. They were in Ange's master bedroom that had an ensuite and a fancy gel topped mattress that was far more comfy than the standard mattress on her spare bed.
"Please stay." Chloe said back in her whisper "please be here."
"Okay darling, I might get up after a few hours. You know me, I'm not good at sleeping in the day, but if I'm not here, I won't be far so you just need to shout for me okay. Now have some toast and then get some rest."
Chloe only nibbled at a corner of her toast, eating less than a quater of a piece. But Ange decided this was not the time to force her daughter to eat. Ange silently sighed as her daughter snuggled under the covers trying to get comfy. If someone had asked her what the one thing she wanted her daughter to never experience, it would be this. That her daughter would never have to experience rape. That her daughter would never have to experience the trauma that brought her into existence.