Chapter 35

A/N finally come up with the name 'Not The Only One' for this fic. See if you can spot a reference to one of Amy's former roles in here?
Chloe was still getting lots of calls and texts from Evan.
Chloe I'm so sorry
Chloe I miss you
Chloe please talk to me
Chloe I'm worried about you
And then
Chloe don't worry I'm still waiting for you and I'll be here for you whenever you're ready. I know i let you down. I'm so sorry and I understand that and I know it will take time for you to trust me again. But I'm here and I'm waiting. Whenever you're ready. I'll always be here. I'm not giving up on you! All my love Evan
Chloe sighed. Why couldn't he act like a normal guy and get a rebound girlfriend or something. Chloe had never had a history of wrong guys in the same way some of her friends had. she'd not really had many boyfriends at all. She was never bothered by boys at school. Her best friend Fiona's near constant heartbreaks were enough to put her off. In her first few years of uni she'd had a few casual things but nothing to write home about. She was with a guy called Harry for about a year in her last year of uni but they split up mutually. Since then there had been a a few more casual relationships until Evan. Evan. She'd thought he had been so gentle and so kind but with the help of her mum and friends she had started to see that more than anything he was manipulative.
Her phone chimed letting her know she had received a text.
Chloe I will never give up on you. All my love Evan x
She wanted to hurl her phone across the room. She couldn't take the constant bombardment. She resorted to kicking the lockers instead.
"Chlo?" A friendly voice asked "are you okay Chlo?"
Chloe handed her phone to Nicky and she scrolled through the long one sided conversation of texts with Evan. "And don't forget the missed calls, 15 so far today." Chloe complained.
"Chloe this is bordering on harassment, it's like he's stalking you. You need to block him. Or talk to him."
Chloe took her phone back and replied to the latest text.  Pulses. I'll be there in 5 minutes
"Do you want me to come?" Nicky asked. "I can take an early break?"
"No. Don't worry." Chloe said "Pulses is a public area. I'm a big girl. I'm just going to tell him straight that what he's doing is not okay."
"Okay. Good luck. Maybe you could grab a sandwich and we could eat together after you get back?" Nicky asked.
"Sure but I've got a packed lunch in my locker" Chloe's mum had been serious about the food thing. Chloe was never allowed to eat alone. Mum or Nicky or Dom or Cam were always there. She was struggling less now. It was still hard and she wasn't enjoying food but she was eating and that was progress.

"Chloe" Evan said as she sat down opposite him.
"Evan."
"Chloe, how are you doing, as I've said I'm so..." Evan started but Chloe our her hand up to stop him.
"I'm going to talk. And you're going to listen." She said strongly. "We've broken up Evan. It happens to couples all the time but you really need to accept that and leave me alone. What you're doing is bordering on harassment and I will get the police involved if I need to. Back off. And that is all I have to say." She stood up to leave but Evan grabbed her arm.
"Chloe, look at you. Please hear me out."
She sat down because she didn't want to make a scene in the cafe area. "I love you Chloe. And I always will and I hope one day you will see that. I'm sorry that I lied to you and I'm sorry that you believed Sophie's lies. If you want me to give you space and 'back off' as you put it then I'll do that. But Chloe if you need me then you know where I am. Remember I will never judge you and I can keep you safe when you're struggling. And I know how often you struggle." He then looked at her again. "Have you gained weight?" He still sounded kind, concerned. "Yes, I think so." She replied "mum was worried I'd lost too much weight so she got me back on carbs and stuff. Not that it's any of your business." Chloe continued.
"You've got to do what's right for you." Evan said but inside he was fuming. Why did Ange always feel the need to control Chloe. She was a full grown adult for goodness sake. Evan was her boyfriend. Well he had been and this was just a blip. She should be listening to him not her mother.
"Evan, we're done okay. No more texts. No more calls, no more flowers." And she walked off. She was proud of herself but still felt a little unsettled. He had no right to question her weight. Her mum happened to get in the lift at the same time. "Are you okay Chloe?"
"Yeah, I will be I was just talking to Evan."
"Evan? Why on Earth..."
Chloe passed Ange her phone.
"15 missed calls today as well." Chloe informed Ange.
"How long has this been going on?"
"Pretty much since we broke up." Chloe rolled her eyes.
"Why didn't you say?" Ange asked both concerned and frustrated.
"Because I know you. You'd wade right in, I needed to tell him myself. I'm not a little girl anymore. It would mean more coming from me." Chloe said "no offence" they stepped out of the lift together. Ange wasn't planning to go all the way up to Darwin but needed to speak some more with Chloe. "He thinks that you try and control me." They walked into the locker room and Chloe pulled her lunchbox out of her locker and sat down by her mum. "That's why I stopped talking to you. Well kind of. I was upset about the whole Dom think too. But now.. I think Evan was trying to isolate me from you and Dom and Gran and my friends. Like he wanted me all to himself." Chloe mused. "I got that feeling from him too." Ange agreed. "Yeah like he never saw friends, not even to go watch football or anything and didn't really like it when I did either. It's not normal."
"You're better off without him!" Ange smiled
"I know."
"Are you going to eat that sandwich or just stare at it all day?" Ange asked pointedly.
"Evan noticed I'd gained weight and I could tell he wasn't happy about it." Chloe said and Ange was getting ready to give her daughter a pep talk but Chloe continued. "But his opinion means nothing to me." so she took a bite.