Chapter 37

The last few weeks had been okay. Chloe had seen Evan at work a few times but he'd not tried to contact her. She knew this week away in Scotland was exactly what she needed. She wasn't sure if she counted Aberdeen or Holby as home but she was excited to be going to Aberdeen, or at least would be once she got there. Over 8 hours was a long drive. Usually she and mum shared the driving, she'd flown a couple of times she had thought about getting the train but it was 15 hours and £250! Having the car would be more practical anyway. She'd planned a couple of stops but it was just her, the motorway and a lot of Spotify playlists. Mum rang her at about 11 to ask how far she'd got.
"I' m in Lancashire I think. I just went past a sign for Wigan."
"How's the traffic?"
"I've not had any issues. I left at 8 to try and avoid rush hour in Birmingham."
"Have you eaten?" Mum asked which frustrated Chloe.
"Yes," she said exasperatedly. "Cam made me toast and gave me fruit and a croissant." Although I've saved the crossant for when I want a snack. I think I'll stop at Lancaster for lunch."

By the time Chloe got to Aberdeen she was exhausted. It was after 6 since she'd made a few stops.
"Welcome home Fairy!" Gran exclaimed and pulled her granddaughter into her arms. "You look so much healthier." Chloe knew that her grandmother had noticed her weight gain. "I've got a cottage pie in the oven. I know you prefer vegetarian food, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks."
"Cottage pie sounds wonderful Gran. It's one of my favourites." Chloe smiled breathing in the familiar smell of Gran, baking, cooking, her rose perfume and just 'Gran-ness'
"I know. I remember. You must be exhausted. Why don't you take your suitcase upstairs and I'll dish out dinner." Gran smiled.
Chloe pulled her suitcase up the stairs and and opened the door to her room. She'd slept in that room at least once a week up until she went to uni at 18. The room still had some of her old soft toys. Photos of Chloe as a teenager and her butterfly duvet cover. The nostalgia made her smile. This room was one of her safe spaces as a teenager and it felt safe still. She picked up a photo from prom of her Fiona, Eilidh and Sophie. She was so excited to see Eilidh and Soph tomorrow. Fi was in Spain of course. Chloe was still planning to visit her at some point.
Gran was relieved that Chloe ate almost all her dinner. She'd been talking to Ange and knew about the harassment from Evan and that they were watching Chloe's food intake. But Gran didn't want to say anything. After dinner Chloe took a shower and got into her comfiest tartan pyjamas and they watched some TV. Chloe smiled hearing the Scottish accents on some of the adverts. The West Country accents she heard in Holby made her laugh especially when her housemate Riley had bluntly said "everyone round here sounds like a pirate." but she missed the distinct accents of Aberdeen but the accents she loved the most were Glasgow. Where her mum and Gran had grown up. Most people found them harsh but her mum and Gran's accent had softened being out of Glasgow but the twang was still there. It even came out in Chloe from time to time. Spending so much time with mum and gran the odd word or inflection rubbed off on her. It was just 8.30 when Chloe told Gran she might shower and go to bed because she was so tired out.
"Chloe," Gran said looking at her granddaughter.
"Yeah"
"You know I love you, and I'm always here for you right? I love you so much fairy."
"Love you too Gran." Chloe smiled and pecked her on the cheek.

She curled up in the single bed of Gran's box room. Smelled the freshly laundered sheets, Gran's washing powder she felt something at the side of the bed and pulled out a plush penguin. She remembered the penguin, she'd got it at the zoo when she was about 14. She thought she was too old for toys but the penguin was so cute she had to buy it. She held it in her arms and fell asleep.