walking the wire pt.4

Shouting. That's what I wake up to. "I can't believe you're encouraging her with this. First she starts sneaking off with a boy, and now she wants to go off to college?"

"Honey, just take a minute to breathe." My mom's voice echoes from the other room of the trailer. "She's worried about taking over so soon. I think it would be good for her to have some time to learn things for herself and figure herself out."

I push myself out of bed and linger in the doorway as they continue arguing. Mom offers me an apologetic look just before Dad notices me and redirects his rage. "I don't care what you mom said. You are coming to Europe with us. The best way for you to learn is by first-hand experience." He's interrupted by a knock on the door, which is probably one of the guys telling us it's time to start getting in place. "Look, we'll talk about this later. Right now, we have a show to prep for. We'll talk about this later."

My head fills with worry as I go through the motions for the show. I slip into my costume and put on my makeup as I try to think up ways to convince my Dad, but it's hard for me to concentrate on much. I can't even bring myself to answer Peter's texts before the show.

"What's up with you today? First you go awol on set-up, and now you've barely spoken two words to me all night." Luke complains as he watches me in the mirror. "Talk to me. You know I can't let you go into the show distracted."

"I've just got a lot on my mind." I whisper and set down the brush as I finish the last of my makeup. "First, I got the day off to spend with a friend. Second, my parents kind of found out about my college applications. Dad's kind of—well, really—flipping out about it. He thinks I should still go to Europe and learn first-hand."

"Probably because you should." Luke counters with a shake of his head. "Seriously, what do you expect to learn in a classroom that you can't learn through real experience?"

"A lot, actually. It would give me the chance to learn proper business methods, how to keep this whole place from falling apart, and things my parent's don't know to even teach."

"It's up to you, I guess." He sighs, "Just focus on the show for now. Worry about the rest of it later."

"I'll do my best." I force a smile on my face, but it doesn't feel real. Nothing does as I go through the motions of show night. It feels like some elaborate performance as I step up to the platform and plaster on that infamous smile as the spotlight hits us. "Well, I guess we better give them a show then, huh?"

The crowd cheers in excitement as I step off the platform and swing on the rope. Except, something's not right. I can feel it a split second after the rope takes tension; it's slipping. I take in a sharp breath as the rope goes completely slack just shy of my being able to reach Luke's outstretched hand.

My stomach rises into my throat. People are screaming. I'm falling.

I land almost perfectly, yet something is wrong. That much is clear when the resounding snap echoes in my teeth, which is immediately followed with world-spinning waves of pain. It paints speckles across my vision, and I struggle to breath through the haze of it.

"Y/N! Y/N!" Peter's voice shouts among a cacophony of others as I'm swarmed. He manages to push his way through to grab my hand as my parent's flank me. "Hey, you're gonna be okay. I'm right here with you."

"She definitely broke it. We need to get her to the hospital." Mom whispers, and I'm sure she doesn't think I can hear it. "Peter, help me get her up—carefully."

It all goes dark a second after that as I pass out from the pain.

I wake up to muffled voices, a weight on my leg, and scratchy blankets. "Don't worry. She'll be fine. One of the first things she learned was how to fall."

"First thing ever proper trapeze learns." I add with a wince as the dulled pain comes back. Peter's quick to grab my hand and brush his thumb over it to help me calm down. "Hey there, handsome."

"You're awake."

"Did you think I wasn't going to?" I tease and look at my mom. "What happened?"

"The knot wasn't tight enough. It's—it's my fault. I was distracted after finding your letter." She looks between Peter and I with a soft smile before making an excuse and leaving us alone.

"You really scared me there for a second." He whispers as he stares down at our intertwined hands.

"I'm sorry." I scoot over and pat the spot next to me. "Cuddle?"

"Is that really what's on your mind?"

"I mean, I wouldn't say no to a kiss too, but I just want some company right now." Peter merely laughs at me and shakes his head as he slips onto the bed next to me. A sigh escapes me as I rest my head on his chest and whisper into his shirt. "I think they're going to make me go to Europe with them. This might be the last time we see each other for a while."

"Doesn't change anything." He whispers back. "I'm still going to call you my girlfriend if you're in Europe, and maybe I can convince Mr. Stark to let me go with him on a trip to visit you?"

"I'd like that."

"Oh, I didn't realize you had company." My Dad calls as he walks in and sees us together. Peter quickly tries to move, but dad just holds up a hand and continues talking. "Actually, this is probably something both of you should hear. Y/N, I had a lengthly conversation with your Mom—and Mr. Parker here. Now, I wasn't sure at first, but when I saw how much you two care for each other and what happened tonight. I—I think you should stay in New York."

I prop myself up in the hospital bed and look between him and Peter in shock. "Are—are you serious? I can stay?"

Dad nods with a bittersweet smile. "Yeah, you can stay. I just want you to be happy, kiddo." His gaze turns to Peter, "You take care of her. Okay?"

"I promise you, sir. I will." Peter affirms, and Dad seems pleased with the answer as he turns to leave the room. "So, I guess, you're stuck with me now, huh?"

"I was thinking it's the other way around. So you better get ready for a sidekick." Peter lets out a laugh as he pulls me in for a kiss. "'Cause I'm not going anywhere."

"Good, 'cause I don't want you to, and I'm not sure what I would do without you."