good times pt. 1 {t.h}

I don't recall ever truly meeting him. Sometimes I think we were just born as best friends, just like our mums, who had met in the early period of their marriages and became instant friends. That was always Tom and I—the best of friends.

It was the trademark childhood friendship. The kind where one of us would always beg for the other to come over for everything. We were the pair that everyone said would be friends forever, that would inevitably fall in love and end up together forever. We didn't believe that, but we thought that we would at least be friends forever.

I remember when we were kids. He had told me his grand dreams of being a famous actor. There was that glimmer in his eyes that he only got when he was enamored and serious about something. I remember sitting on the floor of his bedroom knowing he would do it one day. The boy could pluck the stars from the sky if he tried.

There was also the time when we were about seven. I had come home from school trying not to cry, and only my best friend was able to find out why I was so upset. The truth was William Bradson told me I was too ugly to ever be kissed. Of course, me being my sassy childhood self, I replied with, "it's not like anyone would want to kiss you either, Bad Breath Boy."

I never told anyone how much the comment hurt. All it took was one look and Tom knew. He understood how much a silly retort hurt me. I still remember how he reacted when I told him what happened. He grabbed my face and kissed me. It was both of our firsts, and our noses bumped together. Then he pulled away, told me I was so pretty that I was his first kiss, and went about the rest of the night like nothing happened.

My heart clenches in my chest as I remember how we parted. I was thirteen when my dad retired and decided that he wanted a change of pace. So, my life got packed up with barely any warning, and I spent a whole week trying to figure out how to say goodbye to the best friend—and first secret love—I ever had.

We sat outside my old house, both unsure of how to actually process that I was about to leave for what felt like forever. My head was on his shoulder, and I vividly remember trying not to cry. "I don't wanna go, Tom. What if we lose touch? You're my best friend, and I don't wanna lose you."

"You'll never lose me, Y/NN. And I could never forget you." He whispered and draped an arm over my shoulder. "I'm really gonna miss you. To be honest, I'm more worried you'll forget about me."

"I'll miss you too." I whisper back. "And there's literally no way possible I could forget my best friend. But you seriously think you'll remember me when you're all famous and a huge movie star?"

"I promise." Tom pulls away from me and offers a smile as he continues, "If you're worried though, I'll give you something for us to remember each other by." I don't get the chance to ask him anything before Tom leans forward and does the same thing he did when we were seven.

His lips pressed against mine in a kiss that makes my teenage head spin like a carousel. We pull away, and I bit my lips to suppress a smile. "I don't know. I think you might need a little more to remember me by." I told him before pulling him back in and pouring everything I have into it—all the emotions I don't quite understand, my fears, and the deep affection I hold for my best friend.

"Y/N!" My mother shouted with that trademark tone that screamed trouble. I immediately pulled away from Tom to find her with her hands on hips and foot tapping the pavement. "We have to get going. Now."

"Coming. Just give me one second, Mum." I called back before turning back to Tom. "I have to go. Bye, Tommy."

"Nope. Not bye, Y/N." Tom tells me as he pulled me into a tight hug. "It's just see you later."

I wiped away the tears as my parents called me away. My heart broke in my chest as the old house and Tom faded away from view.

Now, I'm here, phone in hand as I stare down at the familiar profile of my childhood best friend. "Oh my gosh. Just click follow and message him already!" My best friend shouts as she falls onto the couch next to me. "You've been cyberstalking him since we found him. You have to make a move before I go crazy."

"No, I'm not going to do it. He probably won't even remember me. It's been like nine years! He's famous and moved on by now." I tell her as I set my phone down with a sigh. "Anyway, I've gotta go get ready for my audition."

"Okay. Be all mopey for the next who-knows-how-long. Don't try to reconnect with the guy you've referred to as your 'first love' because you're scared." She shouts after me and rolls her eyes. "I still think it's a huge mistake. You should at least try."

"I'll try when I feel ready." I retort and remind myself she's just trying to help out. "Plus, I really need to focus right now. These auditions could really make or break me. I need a new project, F/N. Something to focus on."

"Well, you'll definitely have something to focus on after the auditions." She tells me with that cryptic yet happy smile as she hands me my bag. "Now, c'mon. We gotta leave now or we'll be late with traffic."

...

"So, how did it go?" F/N questions with a grin as she bounces on her feet.

I return her grin and try to keep my hopes contained. "I think it went well. I'm just going to try to not get too hopeful about it all just yet."

"Well, lucky for you—I have the perfect thing to keep your mind off of waiting for the call." She grins deviously as she passes me my phone. "Just remember, I'm your best friend, who you love and admire. The one who agreed to be your assistant and manager, who has always supported you all these years."

"F/N, what are you talking about?" I question, but it's all answered when I look down at the notifications clouding my phone screen. Amidst all the twitter notifications, reminders, texts, and various social media alerts. A group in particular stands out.

tomholland2013 followed you back.

tomholland2013 accepted your message request.

tomholland2013 sent you a message.

This is all a disaster. Everything about this is a giant disaster. I turn to F/N with wide eyes and try to non-verbally convey just how mad I am. "Like I said, remember all those great things about me! I just wanted you to finally take the leap. You've said it yourself you miss him and wish you could reconnect. I was just—trying to help with that."

"But this? This isn't how I wanted it to go." I tell her as I plop into the front seat of her car. There's a horrible throbbing in my head that falls in time with my ragged breathing. "I was going to go visit his family next week with my parents while they were in town."

"Why didn't you tell me all this before? I thought you were gonna chicken out for the next eternity!"

"Oh my gosh. What am I even supposed to say to him?" I question and press my fingers into my temples. "Wait, what did he even say?"

"Well, you should probably check then answer and see where it goes." She tells me with a sly wink, and I take a deep breath before unlocking my phone and opening the app.

Right in front of me is the message F/N sent, that actually sounds a whole lot like me. "Hey, Tom. I don't know if you'll see this or even remember me, but I hope you do. I know it's been like nine years since we last got to talk or see each other. Anyway, I thought maybe we could catch up sometime? I know you're probably crazy busy and stuff, but let me know?"

The reply from him is simple. "How could I forget you after that 'see you later'? And it would be great to catch up. I'll be back in London for a few weeks if you're in the area."

I suppress a laugh and bite my lip. "Actually, I moved back a while ago for work. I really missed London—along with a few other things."

His response comes faster than I could have expected, and I have to keep myself from thinking that maybe he was waiting for me to say something back. "Just admit it, Y/NN. You came back cause you missed more than the town. ;)"

"Still full of yourself as ever I see, Tommy." I reply. "Anyway, since you're back in town. I'm sure we'll be seeing each other soon."

"I definitely hope so." He replies, and we continue to chat on about anything and everything for the rest of the day. F/N doesn't stop teasing me about it the whole time, but I can't bring myself to care or wipe the giddy, childish smile off my face.