1.7

"You seem so absorbed in your own world, you don't seem to realize how much it's hurting you."

☆☆☆

You faintly heard Gon coming in. Too far in your thoughts, you didn't really hear what he was saying either. You tapped your fingers on the wooden table, your eyes staring at the marks on the other one. Why didn't Killua just tell you? How long as he known? It frustrated you to no end that you wouldn't get your questions answered.

Calm down [y/n], think logically. He must have had his reason, you kept telling yourself. 

In the background of your thoughts, Gon had just broken Illumis arm. You stared blankly at the table, waiting for the room to settle back down. You started paying more attention when your name was called.

"In fact, Kurapika, Leorio, and [y/n] have all lodged complaints regarding Killuas disqualification," Netero was telling Gon. You looked around and saw that Gon had a strong grip on Illumis arm, and seemed to be complaining to Netero. "The committee has been reviewing the fairness of it all."

Kurapika calmly stood up, "You saw it yourself, during and after the match with the man called Gittarakur, Killua behaved strangely. I firmly believe that the only reason Killua committed murder was because he was hypnotized. In normal situations, it would be impossible to tempt someone to do such a thing, but Killua grew up among assassins and murder was common. It's only natural he would lack the proper ethical restraint." 

You stood up yourself, along with Leorio. "Not only that, but Killua killed my opponent," you told them. "Me and him are friends, so it's reasonable that he killed Bodoro so that I could pass," you haven't lied this hard since you were caught stealing that pack of gum. As much as you believed the two of you were friends, you didn't think that you were that close. "So if you were going to disqualify anyone, it should be me."

"Both [y/n] and Kurapika make valid points," Leorio spoke as well. "Their testaments should be taken seriously."

"I can assure you, we are taking this very seriously," Netero told him

"It's obvious Killua wasn't in full control of his actions at the time, and thus, he should not have been disqualified," Kurapika finished speaking, his hands palm down on the desk.

Netero turned his back to us. "That is just a speculation, not concrete proof," he said, folding his arms behind his back. He walked back behind his desk and stood next to Beans. "We have to question the hypnosis claims as well," he said,  "And while it is true that the match between Bodoro and [y/n] had already started, it was already a fair fight to begin with. Bodoro may have had experience, but [y/n] has [his/her/their/neos] youth and young mind. There was no real reason for Killua to interfere," he finished off, striking down everything the three of you had said.

You heard Leorio scoff from in front of you, obviously irritated by how this had ended.

"And speaking of weird things happening," Pokkle had started talking, but by then you had already started to tune him out. You were trying to find a way to convince Netero that Killua shouldn't have been disqualified. You owed him that much.

Biting the inside of your cheek, you tried to think this through. The metallic taste of blood began to fill your mouth, making you release your teeth. Sticking a finger in your mouth, you pulled it out and saw some blood and saliva coating it. Crinkling your nose, you looked in your bag for a napkin.

Gons yelling snapped you out of what you were doing. 

"This is completely pointless!" He yelled, staring down at the ground. "Why argue about this? If you aren't happy that you made it, work at it until you are," his voice had gotten quieter, but still had the chilling intensity as before. "If Killua wants to retake the Hunter Exam, then I know he'll pass for sure. He may have not passed this time, and it is what it is. But, if you've been forcing Killua to murder people," Gons hand tightened around Illumis arm. "Against his will, this whole time, I won't be able to forgive you."