3.4

"You love to judge strangers' karma."
- 'Donna,' by The Lumineers

"So, what're we doing today?" You asked Hiromi, turning round and round on the chair with wheels. Your mom had overreacted, burning herself on the stove in her haste. The burn helped distract her some, but she still talked to you about it. You had defended him, but your words were wasted. She wasn't going to listen, so there was no point in arguing with her. 

"Thought we could do a little light reading," Hiromi shrugged, their tone laced with sarcasm, "catch up, have some good times." They took off their reading glasses, staring at you, "We're going to refine your Ren and, hopefully, get to finding your Nen type. If we have time that is, we still need to work on your literature and mathematics."

"Can't we just skip that?" You stopped turning, meeting eyes with them. "According to everyone, I'm stupid and there's no real point in teaching a stupid person," you shrugged, coming up with a quick excuse.

"You're not stupid [y/n]," they rubbed their forehead, smoothing out the crease. "You're terrible at human interaction, but aside that you're smart. I've checked your earlier grades and you do good, pretty bad at history, but other then that, you're set," Hiromi leaned against the wall, looking out the window opposite of them. "Maybe you're a wallflower."

"I wouldn't say wallflower," you brought your feet under the chair, resting your hands on your knees. "As a kid, I just never got out much. I mostly read the books they supplied me with at the hospital, some of which were joke books. I never thought much of having friends, according to my books, they just caused unnecessary drama. It was a miracle that me and Charlie became friends."

"Charlie? The friend that's part of the debate club? The same debate club that left to nationals in the beginning of January, which is why they couldn't go take the Hunter Exam with you?" They crossed their arms, looking over to you.

"Yeah, how did you know all that?" You asked them, scooting the chair back to it's original position.

They clicked their tongue and looked to the ground, "your friend likes to talk."

"Ah, right."

"Anywho," they pushed off of the wall and opened the door, "It'd be a bit hard to teach in this cramped room, so how about we go outside for awhile?"

You jumped off of the swivel chair and out the door, Hiromi closing the door behind you. You both walked through the hallway, pass the kitchen, and out the glass back door. You settled on the small hill behind your house, the sun was covered by some clouds, but the wind was warm. Warm enough during summer. "Alright," you stood at attention, "what's the plan?"

"You showed me your Ren yesterday, show me your Zestu."

For most of the day, Hiromi gave you tips on how to improve on your Nen. They said that since meditating wasn't working, that you should try doing something more engaging. Reading a book, making bread, making a cake, or even counting grass. Anything that you enjoyed doing would also strengthen your aura. This was such a simple idea, a thought, and you had never even thought of it. 

It made you happy that just because you couldn't meditate, you could still work on your Nen.

They brought some books out and placed them on the outside table, along with a notebook and pencils. They proceeded to explain math to you, having you write down a small amount of notes before moving on to other subjects. 

It was nicer than school, since there weren't other kids to distract you.

"What time is it?" You asked them, looking up from your notes.