Chapter Four: Sanguine Moon (Part 3)

Beginne am Anfang

The soldier reached for the blade where he stopped. Sara noticed that the man was unmoving and was annoyed. She shouted for the man to hurry up.

When the man doesn't move nor reply, her patience ran out and she ordered another man forward. As the second soldier began to move towards Mei, a choking noise was heard before the first soldier drops to the ground.

It revealed a hand covered in blood, holding what seemed to be a heart.

Sara narrowed her eyes at the sight, she baffled, what she was seeing was not possible. Her soldiers went on guard.

The next moment, Mei's closed eyes revealed themselves. But it was no longer emerald green. Now it was red – crimson red – with a slitted pupil. Her eyes seemed to glow slightly under the dark sky. Her ashen complexion reverted to normal. In fact, she looked more alive than ever. There was a slight tone of red color at the end of her black hair. A pair of horns could be seen on her forehead. Her aura felt different, it emitted a dangerous air.

At the same time that Mei opened her eyes, the moon changed. Turning crimson, the phenomena could be seen by the entire continent.

Everyone saw the red moon that night, those who had not slept yet. It was a marvel to witness.

Only Mei knew the true meaning for the changes, the sanguine moon signals the birth of a higher entity, it was a symbol of her rebirth.

She smiled at Sara who was shocked. And under the red moon, it made the smile look sinister. Everyone felt as if the devil was smiling at them. They felt a thrill down their spine, including Sara.

Sara could feel and tell that Mei was different, not only in appearance. The remaining Night Walkers saw hope when Mei was alive, but they were also worried because she looked different. The sword held by Mei was also different, the handle seemed to glow red, and there were runic symbols on the blade itself, near the hilt.

Mei broke the black arrow still attached to her body with ease, using her hand. It was as if it meant nothing. And she didn't even seem to hurt doing it. The wound inflicted by the arrow healed itself the moment it was pulled out.

She looks at Iya who was dying on the ground, her eyes narrowed. She looks up at Sara and cast a glance at her men.

"Don't move." She casually said, but everyone felt the anger and malice contained in it.

Everyone shuddered at her voice, they felt enormous pressure on their chest as their body froze. Even those still fighting at the battlefield below, they all froze in place as they felt the murderous pressure.

Mei walked to Iya, she knew Sara was glaring daggers at her, but she didn't care.

The second soldier sent by Sara to retrieve the sword stood very close to Mei, and he was shaking in fear. He dared not to look at Mei, but as she walked past him, he stole a glance, probably trying to see if it was safe to leave.

The man had not thought the red eyes would meet his gaze, he became even more fearful after that brief moment of exchange, until he drops on his knees. His body trembling uncountably, he couldn't stop it even if he wanted, his body reacted on his own.

When Mei reaches Iya, she crouches down and pulls the dying woman into an embrace gently. There she called her name.

Iya stirred as she heard her name was called, and the voice that calls it seemed familiar. She struggled to open her eyes, she felt tired. But eventually, she did, and she was glad. She was to be able to see Mei again.