Chapter Three: Moon Rose (Part 4)

The trio continued their journey without stopping, they reach their destination a few hours before dusk. To their surprise, there were already soldiers positioned around the forest to prevent unwanted people from entering the area.

Though it was no problem for Mei and Iya as they slipped past the soldiers easily. They realized the soldiers had set up camp, there were tents and campfires. All the soldiers were busy doing their tasks.

While doing reconnaissance, Mei had identified one of the higher-ranked soldiers, and she quickly nabbed the person when he was alone. She knocks the man unconscious and hauls him to a safe location, a place that was a few kilometers away. It was there Iya waited with Nyx for her return. There the interrogation began.

It didn't take long before Mei got the information she wanted. According to the soldier, Sara would be arriving soon to personally lead the search team for uncovering the artifact in a day. The artifact seemed to be called Moon Rose, but they weren't sure about its function nor its location yet.

This was also a form of test for the newly appointed Guardian. Some of the information were things that she had already known. Sara would be arriving soon, with plenty of soldiers at her disposal.

After disposing of the soldier, they left to search for the artifact. According to the man, the Moon Rose should be found in a hidden cave, the artifact would always be bathing under the moonlight. In the center of the cave would be where the artifact lies. The entrance would be hidden from plain sight. A spell rest over the place.

Only another artifact bearer would be able to enter the domain, that or someone fated to discover it.

Mei left the cave and saw Iya sitting with Nyx, looking at the blue sky. As Mei walks towards them, Iya noticed her and stood up, a smile was brimming on her face. Nyx stood at attention along with her.

"So, what happened?" Iya asked out of curiosity and hoped that Mei would tell her.

"Based on what the man says," Mei explained. "We are looking for a hidden cave, the artifact would be right inside it. But it would be hard to spot such a hidden entrance."

"Hmm... how are we going to find the cave if it's supposed to be hidden?"

"We'll just go with it," Mei said. "I'm sure we can pull something up."

Iya nods with a smile. "Let's get going then." She began to walk away, then she stops when she notices Mei was not moving. "What's wrong?"

"..." Mei hesitated. Unsure if she should tell Iya about Qufana and the sword or not.

"Is there anything you want to say?" Iya sensed Mei's uncertainty, though she doesn't know why Mei was being hesitant.

"How could you blindly put all your trust in me?" The matter has been bugging her since she met Iya, she couldn't understand why the girl has always supported her unconditionally.

Iya was slightly surprised to hear Mei asking this question, she looks at her in the eyes as she explained. "I believe all that you do, that your choices will always be correct. I can't tell you why, but I just do. I will never doubt you. I guess you can consider it as an instinct."

"..." Mei didn't know what to say.

"I know it might be hard for you to trust me, for now." Iya was smiling at Mei. "But I will never betray you like that person." Mei knew who she was referring to. "I will always be at your side. I promise."

Mei felt reassured, and she was touched. She thought about how lucky she was to have met Iya. "Thanks. Now let us get back to the task at hand."

They began to look around the forest. As they started moving, they realized that Sara might have already arrived as soldiers were scattering in all directions, looking for the entrance to the artifact. However, they were moving at a slow pace and has not reached Mei's location.