Chapter One: Broken Oaths

"The war will never end," Says the man who sat drinking beer in the bar, "It is a rare chance for profiting."

"True, they kept squeezing us for coins without caring whether we can afford to pay." The other man exclaims.

The barkeeper frowned at the two customers, he walks over to them and whispered a piece of advice. "Better keep whatever opinions you have to yourselves, and save yourself some trouble, no?"

The two men responded by emptying their beer mugs and slamming it on the table before striding out to the streets, continuing their conversation elsewhere. Curses on the current war situation could still be heard until they were seized by patrolling guards.

Shaking his head, the barkeeper walks to another customer. He had noticed the stranger's interest in the sensitive topic, he seemed intrigued by the things said earlier. He decided to approach the stranger for a conversation.

"So, what brings you to this part of town? If you don't mind me asking?"

The stranger stares at the barkeeper for a moment, thinking, before he nods. The stranger wore a cloak that blocked most of his facial features from being seen. The barkeeper also noticed the weapon hidden from plain sight, it looked like a dagger.

"I am only passing by, so I thought that I might as well settle some business while I'm here." The stranger took a sip from his drink before answering.

The barkeeper nods in response, he didn't want to pry too much into people's personal affairs, it is fairly dangerous for one to know too much.

"So, how do you think about our town? I know it isn't much, compared to other places like Tilakesh, but it's still something."

"Aye, I'd like to spend time to explore the beauty of the woods, if given the chance, but alas, there is work to be done." The stranger paused as if sensed something. He looks at the entrance of the bar instinctively, like he was expecting someone.

"Do you have any opinion on the war?" The barkeeper can't help but ask.

The stranger reaches into his cloak and places a few coins onto the table, he stood up and began to leave. "Not really."

Upon leaving the tavern, the stranger walked into an abandoned alley and a shadow drop from the top. The girl wore armor that has armor plating protecting all important organs of the body, while the rest were leather, offering some defense without taking away any mobility. It was designed to be mobile and versatile. There was a katana attached to the side, her left hand resting on the weapon. On the other hand, held another katana. She stood up and walked to the side of the stranger.

"Kenta, everything is prepared. We await your further commands."

"Well done, Mei. As always, you are efficient."

The man known as Kenta removed his hood and his face came into view, there was a scar across his left eye that seemed age-old. He was in his early thirties, he has grey hair and grey eyes. He was the leader of a squad within an organization known as Night Walkers, and they were an organization that dealt with suppressing another organization known as Eclipse, if possible, even uprooting it.

Mei handed the other katana to Kenta, they were here on a mission to capture the king of Vignar, who was said to be passing here after an assessment nearby. If taking him alive was not an option, they would need to kill him. He is one of the core puppets of their arch enemy, and he has a wide influence on many things since he is a king.