Chapter Four: Sanguine Moon (Part 3)

Somewhere in the abyss, she walked and walked. There was no end to it. Only eternal abyss, the dark and cool enveloping her. It was regrettable. All the hard work she had put in, only to end up being a waste.

She wondered if this was the life after death, eternal darkness. Or maybe the underworld that everyone spoke of? It wouldn't be too bad if it is.

You have died.

It was the voice again. The one that had called to her, the one she made a blood pact with.

It is time for the price to be paid. The voice said.

"Just take whatever you want. I've failed, miserably." Mei said emotionlessly. "I have lost everything again and proven myself to be useless." Mei laughs at herself.

The price of the pact made, in exchange for power, would be your soul.

"Then just take it!" Mei shouted, almost begging now. She falls to her knees, sobbing. She did not care what would happen to her, nothing would be worse than losing those you cared about again and again.

You are not afraid? The voice asked.

"What is there to be afraid of?" She scoffed at the question. "I have already lost everything. And I am not looking to break the deal, I am an honorable person. Just take it."

Do you know how having your soul taken from you will be?

"Does it matter? I am already dead."

Very well. Your soul will now be mine.

Mei closed her eyes and waited for the worst to come. All she felt was a light tap on her forehead.

She opened her eyes to see a very beautiful woman in front of her. Mei was surprised to see the woman when all there is the darkness.

"My name is Qufana." The lady spoke, and Mei realized it belonged to the voice that spoke to her in her head. "The deal is now complete. And you are now mine. As always, as Fated."

"W... what are you?" Mei barely managed to speak out.

"A goddess. A demon. An entity." Qufana said. "We are destined to meet each other, Mei of the Night Walkers. Just like you are destined for great things. You are mine, as I am yours. You will be my child, you are my child. As it always has been."

"I don't understand." Mei cried, her heart ached. She just wished that she could disappear, so that she doesn't need to feel the pain.

"You will go back. And carved your path. You are meant." Mei felt Qufana caressing her face like a mother would a child. "You are meant to be a queen. An empress. A ruler. You will go back. Where you will be reborn in your true form. Where you will dominate all others."

Mei felt a kiss on her forehead, newfound knowledge began to flow into her mind as she was remade.

"Welcome back, my child." It was the last sentence she heard as she snaps her eyes open.

* * *

The soldier had reached the pillar where Mei was pinned, where her body lies. Sara was watching from a good distance away.

The remaining of the Night Walkers put on their knees, about to be executed. Iya laid dying on the ground near Mei, she had crawled closer as best she could before her strength left her.