Chapter 7

Wayne Manor
8:22p.m.

~ Jonathan

             At first, he kept rejecting my invitation — sounds familiar, huh — because he wasn’t a people person

             At first, he kept rejecting my invitation — sounds familiar, huh — because he wasn’t a people person. In other words, an introvert.
            So, I gave up asking and moved on to Plan B, which I came up with at the very last second because I’m late as it is. I got off my feet, carried him, and flew us straight towards the manor.
           But it seems like I didn’t think it through, as now he knows I’m Superboy. But oh well, I’m not so secretive about my identity.
           We arrived within a minute.
          “I’m still awfully surprised that I was talking to a superhero this whole time,” Aiden said as soon as we landed in front of the manor. Judging by the loud music and indistinct chattering, the party had already started.
          “Well, we’re friends now, so I trust you,” I said. “Plus, you’re about to meet other heroes.”
          “Let’s go!”
          “I think it’s a mistake for me to be here, Jon,” he said, stepping back. “I don’t belong here with a bunch of heroes. It's probably best if I just go home.”
          I turned towards him and met his eyes. Those dark eyes were anxious. His hands were shaking, though I do not know if it’s the cold weather that’s making him shiver or he’s really afraid.
          I flew towards him because the snow underneath our feet was a hassle to walk on. It’s like walking on fine sand at the beach where our foot gets swallowed if we took a wrong step. I landed in front of him and wrap my arms around him.
           It was comforting to know we’re the same height.
           “What are you doing?” He sounded surprised.
           “I’m pretty sure you have received no hugs since he left,” I said, stroking his back. “It’s okay, I’m giving you one now... and you’ll always have one true friend from today.”
           I felt his arms hugging me back. "Not a day goes by where I don't think about him, Jon," he said. "Every day I'm trying to be better... It's working but... now and then, I can't help but miss him so much."
           "You're trying. And that right there is pure strength," I said. "I don't know your whole story but I can tell you've been through a lot. You're strong, Aiden, remember that."
           "Someday, you'll get the happiness you deserve. Be patient for it is coming."
           We held each other for a while. It’s times like this where I believe a simple hug can make a lot of difference. Especially when one is broken. A good hug can mend any broken pieces.
            “You’re my friend now, and I want you to have fun tonight,” I said, pulling back. “You didn’t have a good Christmas for very long, so tonight you shall.”
             His eyes glanced towards the manor and then to mine. He took a deep breath and adjusted his glasses. “Alright,” he said. “I’ll try.”
             We began walking towards the manor. And the moment we walked through the gate, I saw Kori and Raven chatting on the front porch. It wasn’t long before they saw us too.
             “Jon!” Raven flew towards us with Kori tagging along. “Merry Christmas!”
             “Merry Christmas, guys,” I said before turning towards Aiden. “This is Aiden, my new friend.”
             “Hi.” He waved awkwardly, which was humorous. “Sorry was showing up unannounced.”
             “Please,” Kori stepped forward to shake his hand. “Any friend of Jon’s is a friend of ours. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Aiden.”
             “Could you guys accompany him while I hand Damian this stuff?” I ask, holding up the bag of things he requested early.
             “Not a problem,” Kori said, directing him into the manor. “Come, let’s get you something to eat.”
             “New friend?” Raven asked with her arms crossed. “How did that happen?”
             “It’s a long story,” I said. “I’ll tell you all about it soon. For now, just make him feel at home. He really needs it.”
             “Okay?” She replied. “By the way, Damian’s--
             “JON!” A familiar voice startled both of us as we turned around and saw Damian walking out of the manor.
              “Nevermind, good luck,” Raven flew away.
             “Where have you been?” He sounded angry... and concerned?
              The moment my eyes noticed Damian, I felt so happy that I couldn’t contain it. I got off my feet and flew towards him, hugging him tightly. Thankfully, the ground had thick layers of snow to make our fall less painful.
              “Jon?” He got confused.
              “You’re still with me,” I said with my face buried in his shoulders. "Thank Rao."
              “Of course I am,” he hugged back. “Why wouldn’t I be?”
              “I’m so sorry for everything,” I said. “And I love you so much.”
              “Okay, now you’re scaring me,” he said. “What happened to you?”
              “Long story,” I said, standing up and giving him a hand. I didn’t realize he got dressed up for the party. He had on an oversized sweater with black jeans. I can see my sense of fashion has influenced him, as he rarely wears anything formal nowadays.
              Regardless of what he wears, he will always look beautiful.
              “I’ll tell you later. Right now, we have a party to celebrate!” I said, dusting the snow off his clothes and hair. “By the way, I made a new friend.”
              “Was it the boy Starfire’s with?” He asked.
              “Yup,” I said. “His name is Aiden, and I figured he could use a good time, so I brought him over.”
              “I hope that’s okay.”
              “Bringing him to the party is fine,” he said. “But should I be worried about you and... him?”
              At first, I didn’t get what he meant, but when after giving a second to think about it and the way he raises an eyebrow, I understood.
              “Nope, not a thing,” I said. “We’re just friends.”
              “You, however, Damian Wayne, are mine.”
              I manage to get a smile out of him. “That’s all I needed to hear,” he said. “Come, the others have been asking about you.”