Chapter 4

Star Light Mall, Gotham City
5:01p.m.

~ Jonathan

                There’s still time before the party, and it seems like we both needed some time alone for a while.
                The mall seems more packed today. Practically everywhere I turn, there are people, and none so far came alone.

 Practically everywhere I turn, there are people, and none so far came alone

Everyone is either with their friends, family, or partner. While I’m a lonely teenager walking around with a bag of supplies for a party that I might not even attend or enjoy.
                I’ve bought all the stuff needed for the party, including various fireworks, meats, drinks, and many more. It’s surprising how everything came over three hundred dollars. I never knew beef and lamb were so expensive. Just a small packet with three slices of pure beef cost twenty-three dollars and above. And Damian requested a hella beef ribs.
                When that was done, I went over to the Coffee Bean cafe and got myself a hot chocolate with extra marshmallows and a cinnamon stick.
                The waft of freshly brewed coffee fills my nostrils and the animated chatter of the crowds along with the Christmas music in the background makes the place lively. Not to mention packed. However, I managed to secure a single seat for myself on the counter table. On my right sits a middle-aged woman with an oh so strong perfume sipping on a hot espresso while scrolling her phone. Whereas on my left sits a boy who was sketching an anime couple on a sketchbook. I can’t really tell how old he is because he is facing down and he had on a spectacle.
                 I had another hour or two before I needed to head back, so I took my phone out and started thinking of a way I could apologize for telling the truth.
                “I said what I said, and I meant it. It’s not my fault— “I stopped. “No, that’s too harsh.”
                 “How about...... D, eventually someday I’ll have to tell you this. It’s just unfortunate that today was the day,” I stopped and erased them because it sounds fake.
                 Reality struck when I realized there’s no proper way to apologize for the truth. The truth often hurts, and that’s just it. And it’s not always your fault just because your significant other couldn’t take it. But then again, there wouldn’t be a problem if the truth hadn’t come out in the first place.
                Life is simply complicated.
                Being human is exhausting.
                “Are you okay?” someone asked. I lifted my head and followed the direction of the voice. It was the boy sitting next to me.
                “Don’t even bother denying it,” he chuckles. “Or use the cringe answer ‘I’m fine’ when you’re obviously not."
                 I froze in my seat because I couldn’t digest the fact that a random stranger just asked me if I’m alright.
                This time, he was facing me, so I had an unrestricted view of what he looks like. He could be a teenager. He has slightly long black hair with red highlights, dark eyes, and a pair of big square glasses over them. Judging from the size of his eyes, I’m guessing he’s an Asian.
                 Heck... that is so racist.
                 I’m just... not gonna ask that.
                 “Uh... are you talking to me?” Of course, he is, why else would he be facing me?!
                 “Yup, and judging from your... ‘situation’ in coming up with an apology, sitting here all by yourself and constantly scratching your head, I’d say you need someone to talk to,” he said. He held his hand out towards me. “Hi, I’m Aiden Ling.”
                 Yup, Asian. Or mixed? I don’t know, and I’m still not asking.
                “Hi,” I slowly reach for his hand for a quick shake. “I’m Jonathan, and how did you know I’m working on an apology?”
                “You were reading your words out loud,” he said.
                Rao... that’s just embarrassing. I was so focused on coming up with an apology that I didn’t realize I was reading them out loud. How I wish the universe could swallow me right now.
                “Forgive me for snooping around, but are you okay? Tell me, what’s troubling you.
                 Maybe I could help.”
                 “I don’t mean to be rude, but why should I?” I ask. “I mean, we're strangers to each other. And you might be doing something illegal trying to get me involved, I don’t know.”
                He smiles and looks away before chuckling.
                “Yeah, you’re right,” he said, his voice sounding serious. “I see your point. Truly, I do. If there’s one thing we both have been taught since we were little is to not associate with strangers,”
                “Though, it isn’t a crime to make friends with one. Plus, you can believe me when I say I’m just another human being with a broken heart. I’m completely harmless, dude.”
                “No,” I started thinking. “I guess not.”
                 He has a point. People start off as strangers before becoming friends. So I guess, we’re sorta friends now. Or acquaintance.
                 Whoa... this is beyond weird.
                 “Look, it’s cool if you’d rather be by yourself,” he said, facing away from me and continued his sketching. “It’s not my place to be anyways.”
                  “No, no, you’re right, I am in a complicated situation,” I said. He stopped sketching as he glanced towards me. “Just why me?”
                  “I don’t know,” he said. “It just seems like you could use a friend at a time like this. Well, a new friend.”
                   “You’re out here alone? On the Eve of Christmas?”
                   “Yes,” I said. “Honestly to me, it’s just a regular day. Nothing special.”
                  He shifts his body to face me once again with an I’m-interested-please-tell-me-more expression. “Why do you say that?” He asked.
                  And suddenly we’re two strangers who went from minding our own business to having a conversation. And I'm actually not complaining. It's rather nice.