Chapter 3

Wayne Manor
3:24p.m.

~ Jonathan

              Even though I'm not a huge fan of tacos, I gotta say Alfred has outdone himself. The taco was cooked to perfection from the various filings including pork, beef, chicken, lamb, and seafood and the dipping sauces. Every bite was savory, and I enjoyed every one of them.
              Right after lunch, the family resumed on the decorations but this time, more help has arrived. Cassandra, Barbara, Harley, and of course, Selina made an appearance. They helped around with the little details, such as preparing the presents to be placed underneath the tree and fastening the lights on its intended places. Harley and Barbara lend a hand in the kitchen with Alfred preparing the feast for tonight.
                 I followed Damian out to the backyard where he was setting up the barbeque station for those who prefer grilling their own meal for the sake of fun.
               The moment I arrived at the backyard, I noticed that the place was in a mess. The barbecue equipment is scattered all over the place, the tent is out of shape; the garden is dead, and so on.
               “I thought you had set up the place when I got here,” I said, looking around. “By the looks of it, I guess not.”
                “Excuse me for not having powers of my own to get the job done fast,” he said sarcastically. “Well, not anymore.”
                 Although he didn’t say it, I knew he was referring to his siren powers he had back then. It has been two years since the whole Siren Damian fiasco took place. After returning from the ocean, he felt ocean-sick as he calls it. He would often talk about his underwater adventures, how he had powers to kill and heal others, and how he misses being a siren. And often, swimming in the manor's pool.
                Well, he sure missed being a siren, but he still prefers being human. At least, that’s what he claims and I believe him.
                 Every time he talks about his siren experience, it’ll always remind me of the ruby necklace that he got me from the Mariana Trench.
                 I reach for the necklace hanging on my neck and lightly caress the ruby with my fingers as my eyes gaze towards Damian. On his neck hangs the compass necklace that I gave him back at the ocean. It seems like we both have something that represents each other and to bring around wherever we go. No matter how old I get, I will always treasure this necklace and the boy who gave it to me.

 No matter how old I get, I will always treasure this necklace and the boy who gave it to me

                “Did you ask for help?” I let go of the necklace and cross my arm.
                “No,” he said under his breath as avoided eye contact.
                “There you go,” I said. “There are so many people in the manor, D. I’m sure someone will help you out if you’d just ask.”
                “Perhaps Dick? Selina? Harley? Or--
                “No thanks, I’m more than capable of setting up a simple barbeque station by myself, thank you,” he said as he started amending the fallen tent.
                “Is there anything I could do?” I asked.
                He didn’t hear me because he was struggling to make the tent stand. And with the snow piling up every second isn’t helping.
                 Instead, I got off my feet and used my heat vision to melt the snow underneath our feet.
                Once that was done, I pulled the tent away from Damian and set it the right way.
                The tent now stands perfectly above our heads and prevents the snow from falling over us too.