Great Grammy

"Thanks Grandma."

The Elder laughed and hung up the phone. 

Xael's impending heat combined with having her ears and tail out unexpectedly was exhausting her. Adam sensed that she was stressed and released his pheromones a little to help calm her down. He was a little too effective as she laid down and went right to sleep, her purring strong and loud.

As he sat there waiting for Skylar and Emma, Adam began to feel weird. It was as if all of his senses were heightened and it was giving him a headache. Resting his head on the back of the sofa, his eyes flashed over to red when he picked up Skylar's Alpha scent. It wasn't on purpose, it was all instinctual due to his Mate being so vulnerable. Adam had never experienced anything like this before; Skylar was more than two miles down the road. There was no way he should have been able to sense him. Adam was being even more protective and aware than when he and Xael first mated. Hearing Skylar's truck, Adam linked him.

{You need to use your key}

That worried Skylar for some reason as his foot pressed on the gas pedal a little bit more. Emma sensed his urgency also.

"Wes? What is it?"

"I don't know, something's not right Em. Adam just linked me and told me to use my key."

"Oh dear."

"Yeah."

Skylar and Ms. Emma reached the cabin as the truck came to an abrupt halt. Helping Emma out of the truck, they both smelled it. It was the strongest Alpha scent they had ever picked up. This scent was different, but what the difference was they couldn't figure out. Just as soon as they sensed it, the scent quickly dissipated.

"Who is that?!"

"I don't know Em, let's get inside."

Both the Elders hurried to the door. Skylar had it opened within seconds. The both quickly relaxed seeing Adam on the couch with Xael but it didn't last long once Adam looked at them.

"What on earth happened to your eyes."

"I don't know Ms. Emma. We're hoping you can tell us."

"Us?"

Adam gently shook Xael, who by now was completely covered with the blanket, head and all. She whimpered softly and slowly began to move.

"Xael? Babe they're here."

Xael fumbled as she tried to pull the blanket back. First thing to pop out from underneath it were her ears.

"What?!"

As her Grandmother yelled, Xael's ears pinned to her head again. She sat up but refused to leave her Alpha's side. She was behaving like she did when they first mated. Catching Skylar's scent now that she was awake, she gave a low growl but not on purpose.