Back from the Lodge*

"Shit! I forgot I locked it."

"Go clean your face hun, I'll get it."

The pups took up their spot on the couch as Xael dashed to her bathroom. Ms. Emma quickly took a deep breath and went to unlock the back door. It was Sheriff Skylar, he could tell instantly that something was wrong.

"Emma? What is it?"

"We're fine, sorry the door was locked." Emma couldn't hide the hurt she felt for her granddaughter.

"Em..."

"Not now Wes, please."

Skylar smiled, the two were long-time friends and he knew it was best not to push it. Just then Xael walked into the kitchen. She tried avoiding his eyes, but he could tell she had been crying a lot. He looked back at Emma; she gave him another smile.

"Uh... the guys have all showered and dressed. Is it safe to come in?"

"Yeah."

Emma went over to her granddaughter who was getting the roast ready to serve by transferring everything to serving pans.

"Xael honey, place the food on the table and get some rest, you've had a rough day."

Xael simply nodded, her Grams could tell she was on the verge of tears again. Xael quickly set the roasts on the table along with pans of veggies and baskets of rolls. She avoided eye contact with everyone coming in to eat, she was thankful that Deputy Shado was one of the last ones to enter the house. By the time he did, Xael had everything on the table and was quickly making her way to her room.

"Hey Xael."

"Hey..."

Shado wanted to talk to her but she walked out of the kitchen before he knew it. She avoided eye contact with him, which caused him to worry. He started after her only for Sheriff Skylar to stop him.

"Let her rest Adam, she's had a rough day."

Skylar's voice was low enough that only Shado heard it as he intended. Both men found seats at the table, Ms. Emma sat at the head. As everyone enjoyed their meal, Xael's rough day wasn't over.

The men ate and helped with the clean up.  Ms. Emma kind of wanted everyone out of the house so she could check on Xael. Skylar saw the men off as Shado offered to help wash the dishes. Ms. Emma already knew what he was doing. He was trying to hang around as long as he could, hoping to see Xael before he left.

When she went to lie down, her pups joined her in the bed and she had shut the door. She wanted to block out the noise from those eating. But Xael was now in the middle of a horrible nightmare.

Gunner and Moose sat watching her intently. Gunner started to gently paw at his momma to get her to wake up, but it wasn't working.  Moose, who had learned how to open closed doors, was trying to open the bedroom door.  After a few attempts, he got the door open. Skylar, who was coming into the house from seeing the others off, saw him. The only males left were him and Shado, Beau had gotten a ride with the others. Moose glanced at Skylar but continued to the kitchen.

Xael suddenly screamed. A scream that turned everyone's blood cold. Moose bolted back to the bedroom and leaped onto the bed. It was Gunner's turn to help calm his momma down. She was shaking and sobbing once again. Ms Emma and Shado were already on their way to the bedroom from seeing Moose enter the kitchen but turn and run off.

"Go to her Adam!" Ms. Emma knew that he would be able to calm her, especially since she now knew he was Xael's Mate. Shado rushed in and saw Moose keeping Skylar at a distance. Shado made his way to the side of the bed, Gunner moved to lie down next to her. He wrapped her in his arms.

"I'm here Xael, you're okay, you're okay." Skylar and Emma watched Xael stop shaking almost immediately. The two Elders looked at each other as Shado was now rubbing her back, her breathing evening out.

"Adam dear, will you stay with her for the night?" Ms. Emma had no issue with him staying with her and in fact preferred it now that her granddaughter was having more issues with her PTSD.

Shado nodded as Ms. Emma gently pulled the door closed, but not all the way in case he needed to call out for something. Emma nodded for Skylar to join her back in the kitchen.

"Are there still coals in the fire pit?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Let's go." Ms. Emma had made coffee as a few of the guys wanted it with their meal. They both grabbed a cup and headed out to the back deck. Emma left the door open but closed the glass storm door so others would know they were out there. Skylar placed chairs close to the fire and added a few logs which quickly ignited, providing warmth and light.

"What's going on with Xael, Em? Shado has gotten very attached to her very quickly for some reason and she keeps having episodes."

"Wes, Adam is her Mate."

Skylar almost choked on his coffee.

"What!?" He was trying to keep his voice down.

"Adam is Xael's Mate. She scented him earlier, that's how she knows."

"Well, that's great!"

"Eh... not so fast.   Xael has some issues with that. I think that's part of what's going on with her tonight."

"Poor Pup. You know she's like a niece to me Em... what's really going on with Xael?"

"From what she told me while you guys were in the lodge. She had found a Mate while she was in the service.  He was killed when he threw her away from an explosion to save her. Also Xael isn't an Alpha Wes, she's an Omega, a very special Omega."

"An Omega!! There's no way Xael's an Omega. Omegas don't have muscles like she does, and they are not that aggressive or strong.  Nothing about her says Omega!"

"I know, she's always presented as an Alpha. When she was young, her parents taught her to hide the fact that she's an Omega. Hell Wes, I don't even know her scent, that's how long she's been hiding what she really is."

"My God... Xael is an Omega... Wow.   Wait.  So Adam doesn't even know!?"

"No. I know he loves her,  everyone in town knows he's attracted to her.   He even acts like her Mate, but he hasn't scented her yet, and he won't. Not until Xael allows him to."

"What is she hiding Emma?"

"That my dear, I can't tell you. But I know her time in the service really damaged her. More than I imagined. She almost died Wes.  Losing her Mate like that and now having to face the fact that Adam is now her Mate.  She's not handling it well."

The two sat in front of the fire. Not knowing what to do or say.