Chapter four: the Sorting Ceremony

△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△

We followed professor McGonagall. When the door opened, we saw a big hall. There were four long tables with lots of students. There were candles floating in midair over these tables. At the end of the hall was another long table with the teachers. McGonagall led us to there. While I was walking, I looked up. It was a black ceiling with starts. Wicked.

"It's bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts, A History." Hermione said.

McGonagall place a stool in front of us. There was a pointed wizard's hat on it. The hat twitched.
and began to sing.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge in what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep you bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For um the Hogwarts SortingHat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, never, and chivalry Set Gryffindor apart;
You might belong to Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true and unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin,
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means,
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hand (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Everyone bursted into applause. I was excited. Narcissa told me all about the Sorting Hat.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted." professor McGonagall said. "Abbott, Hannah". I put my thumbs up for her as she walked to the stool.

"HUFFLEPUFF!" the hat shouted. The table on the right cheered and clapped for her. She went to that table. That's probably the Hufflepuff table.

"Bones, Susan!". I put my thumbs up again for her.

"HUFFLEPUFF" the Hat said again. The Hufflepuff table cheered again.

More and more people got sorted into their houses. It was either Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. The Slytherin table looked rather intimating.

Hermione got put in Gryffindor, just like Neville. He jogged back and gave the Hat to another boy. I saw that he was embarrassed, so I congratulated him. He gave me a smile and ran to the Gryffindor table.

"Lestrange, Mila." Professor McGonagall called. The nerves immediately increased. I walked to the stool. I noticed that the whole teachers table were staring at me, but not in the way they stared at the other kids. I ignored it. It was probably because of my last name, like most of the time.

McGonagall put the Hat on me.

"A Lestrange! It's been a long time since I've seen one! You're different than the rest of your family, that's for sure! You're loyal and talented! But where to put you? O, I see! HUFFLEPUFF!". Everyone cheered. What?

I was happy that I got put in Hufflepuff, but confused that I didn't got put in Slytherin. My whole family was a Slytherin and I assumed I would get out into Slytherin as well. Everyone was going to hate me. I took a look at Draco as I walked to the Hufflepuff table. He seemed really mad at me. I didn't decide to be a Hufflepuff, why would he be mad at me? He should be mad at the Hat.

When I sat down at the table, Hannah and Susan were so happy.

"We all got in the same house!" Susan said. I saw that Zacharias was also put in Hufflepuff.

"What a coincidence." I said while I was still in my thoughts.

"Malfoy, Draco" McGonagall went on. He walked to the stool. The Hat barely touched his head and the Hat screamed: "SLYTHERIN". I gave him a thumbs up. Draco was so proud of himself. Such a narcissist.

The Ceremony went on. Harry got put in Gryffindor. It took a long time for the Hat to decide. A very very long time. When everyone got sorted into their houses, Dumbledore stood up.

"Welcome! Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you!". He sat back down. Everyone clapped. I didn't know this man, but he had humor. Suddenly there were food piled on plates in front of me. There were so many kinds of food. I stuffed myself with food.

I talked to other Hufflepuffs. They were really nice. I looked over at the Gryffindor table. I saw Neville stuffing hisself too. He noticed me and waved. The people sitting around Neville turned around. They waved too. It was Hermione, Harry, and some other kids. I waved back. They went back to talk. I wish I was put into Gryffindor.

The desserts disappeared. Everyone went silent. I looked around and saw professor Dumbledore.

"Ahern. Just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you. First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would to well to remember that as well." Dumbledore said while looking at redhaired twins. " I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors. Quidditch trails will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch. And finally, I must tell you that this year, the third-floor corridor in the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death. And now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!". Dumbledore gave his wand a little flick and a long golden ribbon flew out of it. "Everyone pick their favorite tune and off we go!" Dumbledore said. Everyone began to sing:

"Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts, teach us something please. Whether we be old and bald or young with scabby knees.
Our heads could do with filling with some interesting stuff. For now they're bare and full of air, dead flies and buts of fluff. So teach us things worth knowing, bring back what we've forgot. Just do your best, we'll do the rest and learn until our brains all rot".

Everyone finished at different times. The redhaired twins were left singing along to a very slow funeral march. I chuckled a little.

"Ah, music! A magic beyond all we do here! And now, bedtime. Off you trot!" Dumbledore said.

We followed Gabriel Truman, the prefect of Hufflepuff out of the Great Hall. We walked to the Hufflepuff basement. It was close to the Hogwarts kitchens.

"To enter your common room, you have to tap a rhythm, the rhythm of 'Helga Hufflepuff'." said Gabriel as he tapped the rhythm and the door opened. We walked in. I heard kids gasping. Gabriel explained things about the common room and she pointed our bedrooms. I ended up sharing a bedroom with Susan, Hannah and some other girls. I was very tired, so I put on my pajamas and fell on my bed. We said 'goodnight' to each other and went to sleep.

△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△