Twelve

Chapter Twelve

☠ Chapter Twelve ☠

ARIELLE'S POV

I'm tempted to run my fingers over the page and when I reach forward to do just that, I hesitate, knowing if I run my oily flesh over the page it may smudge the fine lines of pencil. I just stand there and stare at the details of my face, following the shape of my lips, which are turned down, my eyebrows, which are knitted together. It's hard to miss the fact that I look sad . . . but why?

Thinking back to the first morning I spent here, I know that I was sad. I'd just had a major anxiety attack that brought up feelings that I haven't had to experience for a long time, and the whole ordeal made me really upset, obviously. The thing is, that I didn't realize just how sad I look and how easily it can be seen by others.

Why did Zayn draw me in the first place? Why'd he stand here and sketch me as if I was something worth drawing? When he drew this we'd only just met each other and known each other for a very short period of time. Yes, we've become much closer in the time since then, and rather quickly, but at this point I'm still not entirely sure what is going on between us. Am I hanging around because we have this weirdly deep, unspoken connection, despite not knowing each other very well? Or is it just because we have an undeniable chemistry that radiates between us?

I look down at the drawing again and it hits me like a ton of bricks. I'm here because I do like him. I don't know much about him, in fact I barely know anything, but when I think about it, I believe I know more about him than any other girl he's ever dated. I say dated because I get the sense that most girls Zayn hangs out with, don't see much past a first fuck. Then again, maybe I'm judging him too harshly.

When I passed out, he brought me to his house, not his mother's. That's why Nyjah took me to Zayn's family home, because Zayn usually brings his dates there, but for some reason he brought me here, he showed me into his home. He showed me a part of him that probably no other girl has ever seen and I'd like to believe it makes me special but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

I've seen the inside of his home, including his bedroom, which has walls covered with some of his most personal thoughts, intimate quotes and sketches. He even showed me his nice side, the side that begged me to stay here with him tonight, to cook with him. The side that unveiled his vulnerability, ultimately making me ten times more attracted to him.

Based on the little bits here and there I've seen in his rare moments of vulnerability, I honestly believe that deep down, he's a bit of a softie. He just doesn't show it to anyone.

So why does he feel the need to suddenly flip and be a total asshole sometimes? Is it some masculine thing? Does he just need to prove he's the alpha male? Or is he just trying to impress me, thinking that the whole asshole ploy thing works since it's probably worked for him with other girls?