Seventy-Seven

Chapter Seventy-Seven

☠ Chapter Seventy-Seven ☠

ZAYN'S POV

"I was pregnant!" She cries out, collapsing to her knees.

Everything in the world stops. Absolutely grinds to a halt when she utters those words, my stomach leaping into my throat.

Was she pregnant with my child?

I release the doorknob, turning to look at Arielle. She's still resting on her knees, furiously crying, breathing ragged and a wave of immense guilt washes over me. I never want to see her sad and it looks like her whole world has shattered around her from uttering those words.

"Please, just let me explain," she whispers, sniffling hard.

"What the fuck?" Nyjah asks from where he stands, only a few feet behind Arielle.

Did we get pregnant and she lost the baby? Did she abort our baby? Did she miscarry our child?

Is that what she's been keeping from me? Afraid that I'll leave her if I knew that we were pregnant and something happened?

I'll admit that I've never thought much about being a father. It wasn't something that's been high on my priority list. I'm not sure if it's because I'm still so young, or if maybe I'd never met the right girl.

I can't help but imagine what being a father would be like. Being able to teach a little boy to ride a bike, to play dress up with my daughter, to teach my children how to drive like their daddy. It hurts a little, suddenly being denied something you never knew you wanted.

"Zayn—" she murmurs, bringing me back. She pleads with me again, never getting up from where she rests on her knees. She wipes furiously at the tears falling from her eyes, lip pouting as she stares at me.

She hasn't taken her eyes off me, and I don't know how to feel about it. I'm conflicted as hell—to the point where I don't know what the fuck to do. I'm heartbroken to see her pain, but I'm also in pain. These last few months have been fucking hell. Why didn't she trust me? It makes me feel so unimportant in her life that she couldn't trust me and the fact that she allowed Kit to manipulate me while she idly stood by, knowing what was going on and being able to stop it.

And maybe those feelings are irrational, but I don't feel like they are. I think it's valid to feel hurt. I've given everything I can to her, so of course it stings.

Nyjah looks back and forth between the two of us, just as confused as I am. He came here expecting to have dinner and chill with the two of us, but instead he's hearing us fighting while Arielle desperately cries out her most well-kept secret to keep me from leaving.

I cross my arms, standing before her. She sniffles, before asking, "Can we move to the couch?"

I give her a nod, and Nyjah stands there unsure of what to do. When Arielle rises to her feet and walks over to the sofa to sit on it, I question, "What about him?"