Forty-One

Chapter Forty-One

Pre-Chapter A/N: little bit of a longer chapter, so leave lots of comments?? please :)

ARIELLE'S POV

Yet another stressful day at work. Today was spent with Hayes teaching me how to make Coquilles Saint Jacques. It was a dish that consisted of white wine, onion, bouquet garni (which is a bundle of herbs tied together with string), scallops, mushrooms, butter, flour, heavy cream, breadcrumbs, and Gruyère cheese (which was a sweet but slightly salty type of cheese from Switzerland). I'm not really sure why Hayes had me make the dish, considering it wasn't something we served at Vinum, but I thought that maybe he just wanted to test both my knowledge, and my skills.

I think the only thing getting me through the day was the fact that it was the weekend, which meant that I didn't have to work the next two days. That, and Chef Jules was letting us off early today, stating that we, "Work too hard, and you're too young to spend your lives in a kitchen!"

I don't really know what I'll do during the weekend, but I don't quite think I'm done beating myself up over the whole situation with Zayn. I'm so tired of even thinking about it, because it's entirely exhausting when every little thing reminds me of him.

I did have a distraction though, although it was always only momentary—Jonah. He'd texted me several days ago, and we haven't really stopped since. We haven't talked in a while and it feels like we have so much to catch up on. I've never realized how much I've missed having him around, but it's nice to laugh for a change.

Eventually, I've finished clearing my station, and as I'm taking my chef's coat off, Rae approaches me. "Are you busy tonight?"

I don't respond to the question, because I'm unsure if I want to participate in whatever she's asking me to do, and so I ask, "Why? What's up?"

"I wanted to invite you to Hayes' place."

"Hayes?"

"Yeah, he has this house out on the beach or something and he's inviting us and a few friends out, so I wanted to see if you were down."

I shift my weight on my feet as I think about it. I mean, it couldn't be so bad, could it? Maybe a night out at Hayes' beach house could do me some good. I could listen to the waves, and hopefully clear my mind.

"On one condition," I respond, throwing my chef's coat over my arm.

"Alright."

"I want to bring a friend."

Rae quirks an eyebrow and gives me this cheeky little smirk. "What kind of friend?"

"An old guy friend."

"Damn, you move on fast," she responds with a laugh as we both begin the walk to the locker room.

"No, it's not like that. He's one of my old, really good friends. We sort of fell out of touch when I was dating Zayn, and—Well, I don't have to explain anything to you."