Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

Pre-Chapter A/N: this one's a big one :)

ARIELLE'S POV

"Hello," I greet, once I answer the call, putting my arms into Hayes' coat when the cold breeze blows against my skin.

"Babygirl," Zayn breathes, "Listen, I need to say something."

When I look over my shoulder, Hayes and Rae are staring at me, so I take a step further away from them before cradling my cell phone between my shoulder and my hand. "What is it?"

He sighs heavily on the other end of the line, and my heart starts to pump really fast. He seems rather nervous on the phone and I don't know why. Immediately, my mind flashes to several different scenarios, like maybe he's hurt, or maybe he's in trouble and worry consumes my body.

I imagine him furrowing his eyebrows while pacing back and forth somewhere. Or maybe he's sitting in his car, having a cigarette to calm his nerves. Whatever he's doing, I want to be beside him, holding his hand, calming him.

"Arielle, I'm in love with you." He utters rather quickly into the phone. "I love you, I'm done keeping it a secret."

The world suddenly stops spinning on its axis, and my heart beats so fast I'm afraid it'll burst right out of my chest. My palms get sweaty incredibly fast as my mouth falls wide open. Zayn just said he loved me. He loves me.

Zayn loves me and nothing else in the world matters anymore, it's just annoying background noise. Knowing that he loves me make me suddenly feel invincible, fearless, even. I can't go wrong with him. There was once a time when I would worry about being enough for him, but now I feel like I can do no wrong. I'm invincible with him because he loves me, and I love him. He loves every single little bit of me, flaws and all and there aren't words to describe the joy that brings me.

"I'm sorry I've kept it in for so long. This is a first for me, but there's no denying it anymore. I love you, angel. I love the way you mumble in your sleep, and I love the way you laugh so carelessly, and I love your cooking, your body, the way you look at me, your strengthI love you."

"Zayn, I—" I start a sentence, but I can't even finish it as the tears begin to well up in my eyes. "I love you too, so much, you know that." I can't help the smile that's radiating across my face. He loves me.

"I know that, and I'm so happy I" As he's speaking, he's suddenly cut off and I get confused.

"Zayn? Are you there?" I hold the phone closer to my ear as if it'll help me hear, but there's nothing on the other end of the line. I check the volume on my phone, but it's as loud as it can get. "Zayn?"

I hear some muffled shuffling on the other end of the line. "What the fuck?" Zayn's voice is there, but it's distant, as if the phone is suddenly several feet away from him.