Five

Chapter Five

➳ ARIELLE'S POV

ARIELLE'S POV

I stare up at the streetlight—it's providing me with some light, but it's like I can't shake this feeling of being watched. Why do I feel this way? I'm perfectly fine, I'm safe, and the moon along with the streetlights are providing enough light for me to be able to see across the street towards the park, where a few people are sitting on the benches. Maybe it's because of his text message. How did he get my number? I feel reckless being here. Why'd I feel the need to put my life in danger like this?

My mind reminds me that I'm attracted to him and that the mystery of it only heightens that. I've become obsessed basically, like Zoe with Nyjah. However, it's easy for me to justify it because of the insane chemistry I felt between me and the stranger. It was like nothing I've ever felt before and I honestly think I'd regret if I didn't explore it more.

I look at the clock on my cellphone. Only one minute till he said he'd be here. My stomach twists in wicked knots. What do I do? Should I just leave? I have school in the morning, maybe I should just leave and go back to the dorm. The adrenaline that's pumping through my veins is laughing at me, telling me that'll never happen and it leaves me standing there while picking at the ribbing on my hoodie.

My ears pick up the sound of a roaring engine and I look up to see that familiar red car speeding down the street. He's swerving around traffic, easily doing double the speed limit. I watch in terror as he drives through a red light and even though there isn't traffic around him when it does it, I wince and close my eyes. I know I should leave and should go back to the campus, but my feet make a move in the opposite direction, towards the curb.

And him.

He rapidly parks against the curb directly in front of me. When I look at my phone it's eleven thirty. He's right on time. He pulls the key out of the ignition and the street is suddenly deafeningly quiet, despite the other traffic still moving about. I can see several people in the park looking in his direction—in our direction.

I watch nervously as he gets out of the car and walks towards me. He's wearing a beige sweater, black ripped up jeans, and brown lace up boots. Despite the fact that we're basically dressed the same, he manages to look ten times better than I ever could.

My heart honestly stops for a moment when my eyes finally see him again. He's even more handsome than I remember and my pulse begins thrumming in my ears.

He runs his fingers through his midnight hair and looks at me. Not speaking a word, he grabs a packet of cigarettes out of his back pocket and lights one up. I'm intrigued as I watch him blow patterns of smoke into the sky. The street lights make it difficult to see, but it's enough to make my heart race. He takes a step backwards and leans up against the hood of his car, eyeing me up. He looks at me and I note that he has the type of face that just screams he was made to break my heart.