Thirty-Five

Chapter Thirty-Five

Pre-Chapter A/N: the next chapter's a big one :)

Pre-Chapter A/N:  the next chapter's a big one :)

ARIELLE'S POV

I grab my chef's coat from the back of Zayn's car. "Hey," he says as the passenger's side window rolls down and I take a step towards it to bend down, peeking my head inside. "Good luck in there. I know you'll kill it."

"Thank you, I love you and I'll call you when I'm done?"

He shifts behind the wheel of his car and smiles at me, "Yeah. I—" he starts to say something, but he bites his lip and looks away from me, staring at the steering wheel.

It's been a day since New Years, and it was time for me to start my apprenticeship at Drew's father's restaurant. Somehow, Drew had managed to pull some strings, and apparently his father seemed very impressed with the grades I'd received over my time at Le Cordon. Even now, standing in front of his restaurant doesn't feel real. In some way, it all feels like it's still just a dream, like I just started at Le Cordon and now it's almost already over.

I'm still standing at the window as I wait for Zayn to say whatever it is he wanted to, but he seems frustrated with himself. He closes his eyes, taking a breath before peering back at me again. "Good luck," he repeats to me, but for some reason it has me feeling like he didn't say what he intended to. I'm positive he wanted to say something else, but he holds back, leaving me rather confused.

"Thanks," I reply, smiling and backing away from the car. He slowly rolls up the window and I begin the walk to the building. Once I'm at the front door, I turn to wave at him, but he's staring at the steering wheel again in concentration. I thought we were over this weird secrets thing, but maybe we aren't just yet. When he finally notices I'm staring at him, he smiles a little and waves and I return the gesture before walking into the restaurant.

It's overwhelming being in the restaurant for the first time. The name of the place is Vinum, which I was told was the Latin word for wine. Apparently, Mrs. Moore was quite the drinker, and so the name was an easy pick when her husband was deciding on a name.

Speaking of Mr. Moore, I wasn't sure whether Drew's father would be here tonight. I was told that I'd be meeting a man by the name of Hayes, which I assumed meant that Mr. Moore was much too busy with his other ventures to hang around showing me the ropes.

As I step further into the restaurant, the smell is the first thing that hits me. It smells delicious in here, and suddenly the nerves are hitting me because what if I'm not good enough to work here? I know this is just like an apprenticeship, but the chefs that work here are professionals, they've worked their way up the ladder to be here and I'm only here because I know Drew, and his father owns the damn restaurant. I'm going to be the kid that everyone hates, considering the only reason I'm here is because I know the right people.