Seventy-Three

Chapter Seventy-Three

☠ Chapter Seventy-Three ☠

ZAYN'S POV

It was the last full day of our vacation.

That was obvious when the two of us woke up this morning feeling sad, but relaxed. Neither of us wanted to go home and head back to the realities of what life is actually like for us. Our lives are full of two-faced people, stalkers, stubborn as all hell memory loss, along with car accidents and psychotic people that need to leave us alone for good.

Although I've been sullen all day—sad and disappointed the vacation is over already—Arielle's been the opposite. She's still happy, enjoying what time she has left before she has to head back home and deal with her responsibilities. She'll have to go back to work, and I'll have to both quit working for Sullivan and deal with my mother's things.

Can't we just stay here forever?

When we finally woke up halfway through the day, we headed over to our final scheduled activity which was ATVing across the beach. We were supposed to get two ATVs—one for Arielle and one for me—but the company fucked up, so we rode a single one together. It was irritating because our helmets continually hit one another, but it was still lots of fun.

I even let Arielle drive for a while. That is, until I sneakily attempted to untie the strings of her bikini from where I sat behind her, and she had to turn off the machine. From that point on, she sat on the back of the machine, giggling and laughing whenever I'd speed up.

But now, we were laying back on the beach near the hotel not having moved from this spot for the last several hours. Together, we'd decided that this was what we wanted to do in our final hours here. We just wanted to share a beer on the beach and listen to the waves. We've also gone for the occasional swim and had frequent snogging sessions, but what else is new?

Just as I'm starting to fall asleep in the sand, I hear Arielle get up beside me. So, I sit up and watch her as she charges towards the water and splashes in the waves. The smile is still radiating off her face, which makes me happy. The smile hasn't left her face for the few days we've been here and it's incredible to see.

She's so much more carefree here. She does seem happier, and I can't help but think it's because all the shitty people in her life aren't here. She doesn't have to worry about Sullivan, or her horrible mother, or weirdo Kit. None of that applies to Anguilla because they're miles upon miles away and that's evident on her face.

As I watch her dive under the water, and another memory flashes across my brain, almost as if I'm staring at a television screen.

I race down the street, pressing harshly on the gas. The engine roars beneath my foot, wishing just as desperately as me to go even faster.

I race down the paved road in a hurry, whipping past house after house, stunned onlookers, and the other odd car that I manage to see.

I whip past a bunch of bystanders on the sidewalk, pulling a 180 degree turn until I've successfully parked against the curb. I ensure that the parking brake is applied before I double check my phone. I'd just come from a race and needed to let loose in the best way I knew how.