Fifty-Eight

Chapter Fifty-Eight

A/N: lottsa doctor talk in this chapter. forgive me if it's incorrect. i did lots of research but i'm obviously not a doctor!

 i did lots of research but i'm obviously not a doctor!

ARIELLE'S POV

Hayes' apartment is starkly empty. It's almost as if a girl never lived here, and that surprised both Raelyn and I because he told us it's only been two days since he found those text messages.

Honestly, I never expected that from her. Although she seemed a little stuck up and conceited when I met her for that brief moment in the doorway of this apartment, she did seem nice. Plus, the way she was looking at me all suspiciously when I arrived, told me she was obviously protective of him—meaning she must feel quite strongly about him. So how could she go and sleep around?

I think he's a really nice guy. I mean, I've been working with him for some time now and I haven't seen anything to dislike about him. He doesn't seem to have issues with anger, or jealousy. He always seems very friendly and thoughtful, not to mention he's smart and he's good-looking. It really doesn't make sense why she'd cheat on him, but I guess there's obviously some reason in her head why she did it.

Hayes slams his now empty glass against his countertop, a profanity slipping from his lips while he rakes a hand through his hair. It's been like this for the past twenty minutes or so since we entered his apartment. The second we walked inside, he went straight for his liquor cabinet and pulled out a bottle of vodka and began drinking straight shots. Shot, after shot, after shot.

"Feel any better?" Rae asks. Hayes nods his head, and so she responds, "Told you so."

He starts pouring himself another shot, and I'm quick to grab his wrist to stop him. He gives me a death glare, but I don't let up on my grasp. "You need to slow down." I slide the bottle over beside me for safekeeping.

He sighs, probably realizing that I'm right. He presses his head against the cold countertop and murmurs inaudibly. His phone suddenly begins vibrating in a constant manner, and he groans out. "That's her, isn't it?"

I check the screen, noticing her face pop up accompanying her name. "Yeah," I answer, pressing the Ignore button for now. It doesn't stop her though, because only a few seconds after I do so, she just calls again. But this time, I pick it up, despite knowing that I really shouldn't. "Hello?"

It's silent on the other end for a moment. Hayes looks up at me with panic written all over his face, as he tries reaching for his phone, but I push him away from me, running across his apartment as Rae giggles behind the island. "Arielle, please," he begs me, chasing after me.

"Who is this?" I hear Jessica ask on the other end of the line, the panic rising in her voice readily apparent. She's obviously freaking out about hearing a woman answer her newly single ex's phone.